Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellow70cooper

Reaction score
Today I plan on brewing a rather big IPA. That is where my question comes in I have read several posts that say you can dry hop in either the primary or the secondary or even in the keg. I have the resources to do any of these methods I was just wondering what would be the recommended method? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I don't keg, but if I did I'd definitely add some to the keg in addition to the secondary (if I was doing one). I wouldn't dryhop in the primary because I think you'd lose much of the aroma you're shooting for. The hop nose does fade in IPAs after they've been bottled for a while, too.

I've always just dryhopped in the secondary. I've tried different ways- whole hops leaves, pellets, with a bag, no bag, etc. I think the easiest way for me now is to just chuck them in with out a bag and then siphon into my bottling bucket when done.

yellow70cooper said:
Today I plan on brewing a rather big IPA. That is where my question comes in I have read several posts that say you can dry hop in either the primary or the secondary or even in the keg. I have the resources to do any of these methods I was just wondering what would be the recommended method? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I dry hop in the keg:

Liquid dip tube, 1-gallon paint strainer bag from Lowe's, one small zip tie:
DryHop1.JPG

Add some hops and a handful of sanitized marbles:
DryHop2.jpg

Zip tie the bag to the dip tube inside the keg...just off the bottom of the tube:
Dryhop5.jpg

And begin to fill:
Dryhop6.jpg

Marbles keep the bag from floating and the zip tie keeps itfrom sinking to the bottom and interfering with the dip tube:
Dryhop7.jpg

Back