Diplomatic Homebrewing (as in overseas)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmprdood

Reaction score
My job has taken me overseas to an Embassy. After a week, my DME showed up so, now I'm off and running.:rockin:
A couple of pics: 1) Top of brew closet with supplies to make apple wine, 2) bottom w/ 4.5G of blonde ale fermenting away and the beginnings of my bottle collection, 3) what I am currently drinking, and 4) HBT up and running!

Cheers all!

CIMG2913 (480x269).jpg

CIMG2914 (480x269).jpg

CIMG2916 (269x480).jpg

CIMG2917 (480x269) (480x269).jpg

I'm in Baghdad for the next year or so - but lookie at what I found :ban:
Someone approached me at the dining facility and wanted me to look at an abandoned plot in the community garden.....I found a HOP plant on the ground! Not sure what type or anything. How they got the rhizome here, I'll never know, and who cares. I figure I can try the cones as aroma additions so I'll harvest some more, cut it back and put up a tall tripod like I saw at Jefferson's Monticello and see where we get from here.

More to follow!

Cheers

hops 001 (640x358).jpg

hops 003 (640x358).jpg

hops 005 (640x358).jpg

hops 007 (640x358).jpg

hops 008 (640x358).jpg

An update:
1) My Blonde Ale (I have 5G of pale ale in bottles conditioning)
2) My brew set up in my tiny kitchen
3,4,5) BrandonO's Graf brewing and finishing in the fermenter

The adventure continues!
Cheers

006.JPG

005.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

027.JPG

I have a vanilla honey bourbon porter and an IPA on tap. I have a brown ale carbonating. I have a coconut porter and IPA in secondary. Today I made an Mint IPA and a two hearted ale clone.

Awesome, man! When I was in Afghanistan, General Order #1 prevented us from doing such things. Glad to see they let you have a taste of home while you're there. :rockin:

Second batch - an American Pale Ale. Made with Lite DME, some C120 I roasted in the oven to get a little more color on, some Cascade and Willamette hops with an IBU of almost 40.

Cheers!:mug:

005 (511x640).jpg

Awesome, man! When I was in Afghanistan, General Order #1 prevented us from doing such things. Glad to see they let you have a taste of home while you're there. :rockin:

Much like Americans did during the Great Experiment, we ignorned GO#1.

Glad to see you guys homebrewing able to enjoy some of the finer things in life in some of the most difficult areas on the globe.

I've used them in every brew except the first (I've done 4) as aroma additions for the last 3-4 minutes of the boil. I suspect that since they were found "past their prime" that I'm not getting a lot from them, but what the heck - they were free and they're local!

Cheers.

Back