Is my batch ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Char_UCD

Reaction score
So anyway, this is a bone-head mistake on my end, but... My brew was basically finished in my secondary carboy, all set to be bottled and I got sidetracked by a month or three. I was getting ready to bottle today and I noticed that my airlock was almost totally dry and exposed to the outside air. I think it has been exposed for a couple of weeks now.

My question is, do you guys still think it is safe to bottle? or should I just scrap it and start from new?

I haven't noticed any obvious problems with it, but the surface seems to be covered with a white substance that I haven't really seen with previous brews. It almost resembles mold, but I am not sure that would even be possible due to the alcohol content.

I guess my main concern is that it would make me sick, would that even be possible?

White and filmy with bubbles and/or web-like lines is likely lacto infection. Post a pic if you can.

I haven't noticed any obvious problems with it, but the surface seems to be covered with a white substance that I haven't really seen with previous brews. It almost resembles mold, but I am not sure that would even be possible due to the alcohol content.

I guess my main concern is that it would make me sick, would that even be possible?

There are no known pathogens that can live in beer. There are spoilage organisms that can make your beer taste sour or otherwise funky, but they cannot harm you. All they can do is make your beer taste bad - unless you have already acquired a taste for sour, funky beer like lambics, gueuzes, and Berliner weisses.

Taste it and if you like it, bottle it. If it is infected it may continue to develop some funky off flavors over time, so you might want to drink it quickly.

Latest posts

Back