Houston, Tx brewers - Are you treating your tap water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrodaden

Reaction score
For those of you in the City of Houston, are you treating your tap water?

I chose to use distilled water for my first brew. The water in the City of Houston isn't consistent in my opinion. Sometimes the chlorine gets really high.

I am interested in the opinions of others in Houston. If you are treating, how are you doing it?

I'm fairly new to the brew scene but i use Ozarka natural spring water. Like you, i dont trust the tap that can be to hard ot too soft and who knows what is in the water. I personally wont use distilled unless you added minerals because distilled is just water by itself it doesnt have calcium, magnesium and other nessicary minerals.

Given the drought here, who knows where the water is coming from on a daily basis?

I treat: I clean all my equipment the night before, then fill with sufficient water for mashing & sparging and add part of a crushed campen tablet and let it sit overnight. I don't add anything otherwise right now as I don't think you can plan for it - any water report I got would be made useless quickly when they changed water sources again.

i recently moved from houston but when i lived there (and even now living in the 'rainforest' of pittsburgh) I use bottled spring water, never tap water. I'd hate to ruin a batch over something like that!

I live in the Katy area, and before the drought I was brewing AG with tap water with excellent results.
Now it's 5-gallon jugs from the grocery store. I can't notice a difference.

Hunter

I'm in the Houston area... Bought a softener and RO system to remove the chlorine... Before that, the water smelled like a swimming pool.

I learned the hard way that distilled water is no good for brewing beer. My yeasties fell asleep on the job when my brew was short of my target FG. I am fixing this batch with some new yeast. I won't be using distilled water again.

Not far from Houston, my water has a ton of chlorine, I never use it, not even for my coffee. Most of the time I use RO Water and add some salts back. Or I use Ozarka. I guess if you had a good carbon filter it would be ok.

Live in Katy and I use 75% RO or Distilled and 25% tap and adjust as needed for AG. 100% Distilled or RO for extract. We have high iron out here that demands the need for dilution.

Back