What beer do you still buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brooklyn Lager, NEBCo Gandhi Bot, Ithaca Cascazilla, Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye and Racer 5.

I'll also pick up limited run bombers and things that look interesting. I do this more than the above beers. I think I last bought beer in the end of September.

I am, however, picking up two bottles of Stone's Vertical Epic 11-11-11.

When I'm in a restaurant around home, I'll usually buy one of the locals. That usually means something from SweetWater or Terrapin. If I'm at a place like Taco Mac which is an Atlanta based restaurant chain, then I can go crazy. They always have at least 100 taps and 300 different bottles. I also travel in my business and then, I seek out the locals in those areas. I find that most places that don't really have a craft beer will have some Sammy on hand.

I buy a lot of craft beers because I like trying beers i've never had before (i'm something like 220 right now).

I'm a noob, so I'm still buying for research and bottle collecting. But, I'll buy anything that interests me or that I haven't tried..

heh. funny story. when we go to the grocery store to buy groceries, we will usually hit the same checkout lady. she's pretty cool and has a good sense of humor, so we always deal with her when she is working.

when she found out i was doing the homebrew gig, she asked why i bought commercial beer. i told her that it was because sometimes you want something else.

not that what i brew is bad. just that variety is a good thing. usually i will try to buy a beer of a similar style to what i have on brewed so it's not the *same* thing, but it doesn't offend the palate to go from one to another.

I buy seasonal beers , picked up a 4 pack of Goose Island Christmas Ale today , and 22oz bottles of stuff from brewers like Ommengang

I still buy a ton of non mainstream craft brews. Obscure and high ABV is the name of the game

I apply Anthony Bourdain's approach to food towards my beer consumption: you cant be taken seriously as a chef (not cook) and not try everything once. If your serious about the craft (not just your craft) you owe it to the people doing the same thing you are to try it once. All the people I see shunning craft brews just because they have to buy it; it makes me sad for them.

I try to pick up a 6er of something different every 2 weeks. Since i'm new to craft beer in general its nice to try all the styles.

RainyDay said:
I apply Anthony Bourdain's approach to food towards my beer consumption: you cant be taken seriously as a chef (not cook) and not try everything once. If your serious about the craft (not just your craft) you owe it to the people doing the same thing you are to try it once. All the people I see shunning craft brews just because they have to buy it; it makes me sad for them.

I can definitely agree with that

I still buy a lot of craft beer. I rationalize it by calling it "research" or "collecting bottles" but the truth is I just really love variety and trying beers I've never had.

I still buy Keystone Light, but just to use it to cook with. Every once in a while, I'll drink a can of it if I'm waiting for a batch of homebrew to become drinkable. I'll also buy certian craft brews now and then to try something new and to see if I can possibly try to clone it.

I still buy a lot of craft beer. I rationalize it by calling it "research" or "collecting bottles" but the truth is I just really love variety and trying beers I've never had.

That's why I like to use the Untappd app on my iphone to keep track of them. I just earned the "master" badge for trying 200 unique beers since I signed up last December.

Man I wish that had existed when I turned 21 in the 80s and started exploring the world of craft beer. If I even had tried 100 different beers a year for 26 years, which I would have to say I probably had....wow.

Fresh IPA's and APA's. When I get a taste for some lager styles I will buy Pilsner Urq. I also enjoy Great Lakes Dortmunder. I just havent really brewed anything but ales so I buy lagers. When I do buy ales I like to try ones with new hop varieties to get a idea of the taste/aroma.

I but Schells Emerald Rye, Surly Furious, Brau Brothers 100yd Dash, Tallgrass Oasis, SNPA, and Torpedo. I like NB's Red Hoptober too.

We do an interesting thing every Christmas. It started when my wife decided some 6 years ago to do a cookies exchange. It was only females and I had to make myself scarce. So the next year I said invite all the guys and we'll do a beer exchange in the man cave. Super success! Everyone brings something either they want to try or share something special. We all get to taste a lot of different brews since the party generally brings about 15 guys. At the end of the night we have quite a bit left that I 'try' to have them take some home bit I usually end up with a good variety-BONUS!!!

We do an interesting thing every Christmas. It started when my wife decided some 6 years ago to do a cookies exchange. It was only females and I had to make myself scarce. So the next year I said invite all the guys and we'll do a beer exchange in the man cave. Super success! Everyone brings something either they want to try or share something special. We all get to taste a lot of different brews since the party generally brings about 15 guys. At the end of the night we have quite a bit left that I 'try' to have them take some home bit I usually end up with a good variety-BONUS!!!

One of my work friends does something like this every year. Everyone is supposed to bring a random 6-pack of craft beer, and they put it all in the fridge so everyone can mix and match and try new things. I usually get to try a few new things, but it feels kinda lopsided when I'm bringing stuff like 3 Floyds or Bell's and the regular BMC drinkers are showing up with Blue Moon and Landshark. I think my friend really just does it to stock his fridge for a while.

I always like to buy different stuff I've never had for research for what I'd like to try to brew plus the more I drink the more empty bottles I have therefore the more I can make

I buy one or two bottles a week to try new stuff but I clone anything I really like and generally negervbuy it again. Now in harvest and winter mutual purchases go towards seasonal beers. Tomorrow ill pick up some Abyss by Deschutes.

Back