Anyone brewed BYO Peanut Butter Chocolate Sweet Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
Thinking of brewing this and was curious if anyone has and could offer some perspective? I would likely not add the licorice as I can't stand it, personally.

http://***********/stories/recipein...t/2404-peanutbutter-and-chocolate-sweet-stout

Peanutbutter and Chocolate Sweet Stout
Issue Mar/Apr 2007

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Sweet Stout

I used peanut butter extract and cordial oil, but you could also use 6 oz. of low fat peanut butter and add it at intervals during the boil just like the cocoa powder is added.

Ingredients

7 gal. distilled water
1⁄4 tsp. salt
1⁄4 tsp. Epsom salts
1⁄4 tsp. calcium chloride
1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
1⁄4 tsp. gypsum
1⁄4 tsp. Burton water salts
1 tsp. amylase enzyme
12 drops of lactic acid
1 lb. German Pilsner malt
1 lb. Wheat malt
1 lb. American crystal malt (60 °L)
8 oz. dextrine malt (CaraPils)
1 lb. Belgian Special B malt
1 lb. British chocolate malt
4 oz. roasted barley
9 oz. of flaked oats (that have been toasted for 30 min at 325 °F/162 °C)
9 oz. flaked oats
8 oz. flaked wheat
3.3 lbs. light liquid malt extract
3 lbs. dried wheat malt extract
1 stick licorice
6 tbsp. Hershey’s dark cocoa powder
6 tbsp. Hershey’s cocoa powder
2 vanilla beans
1 tsp. Irish moss
1.5 oz. Fuggles hops (4.75% AA) for 60 minutes of boil
1.5 oz. Kent Goldings hops (5% AA) for 60 minutes of boil
0.5 oz. Fuggles hops (4.75% AA) for 15 minutes of boil
0.5 oz. Kent Goldings hops (5% AA) for 15 minutes of boil
1 packet of Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) yeast
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
1 tsp. diammonium phosphate
1 tsp. yeast energizer
1 bottle (2 oz) of Watkins peanut butter extract
1 bottle (1⁄2 oz) CK products peanut butter cordial oil
6 oz. medium toasted oak chips or cubes
One packet of plain gelatine
1 tsp. polyclar
1 tsp. isinglass
1 lb. lactose
8 oz. maltodextrin

Step by Step

Do a step mash acid rest at 95 °F ( 35 °C) for 25 minutes with a protein rest at 122 °F (50 °C) for 25 minutes. Then mash at 149 °F (65 °C) for 90 minutes. Remash in another pot of 149 °F (65 °C) water for 30 minutes. Mash out at 168 °F (78 °C) then sparge with 168 °F (78 °C) water. Boil 60 minutes and add hops as described above.

Add the following based on time intervals: 60 minutes of boil: 1 stick licorice, 2 tbsp. Hershey’s dark cocoa powder, 2 tbsp. Hershey’s cocoa powder, 1/2 vanilla bean; 15 minutes of boil: 1 tsp Irish moss, 2 tbsp. Hershey’s dark cocoa powder, 2 tbsp. Hershey’s cocoa powder, 1⁄2 vanilla bean; 5 minutes of boil: 2 tbsp. Hershey’s dark cocoa powder, 2 tbsp. Hershey’s cocoa powder, 1⁄2 vanilla bean.

Cool wort and siphon out 1 gallon (3.8 L) of this concentrated wort into a clean empty distilled water container and put it in the fridge. Then add water to the remaining wort to the 5-gallon (19-L) mark. Pitch yeast between 68 °F and 72 °F, add yeast nutrient, diammonium phosphate and yeast energizer. In 3 to 7 days, after fermentation has slowed down and the kräusen has settled, add the stored wort and rack to secondary.

Then add Watkins peanut butter extract and CK products peanut butter cordial oil, 1⁄2 vanilla bean and 6 oz. medium toasted oak chips or cubes. Fine with plain gelatine, Polyclar and Isinglass. Carbonate at 3.0 volumes with 12.5 oz. dried malt extract. Also add lactose and maltodextrin at bottling.

Yeah I plan on toning it down and doing a partial mash. I get a headache reading it!

Back