Do I need a protein rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
5lbs 2-row Pilsner
5lbs 2-row Pale
1lbs White Wheat
1lbs Vienna

With the Pilsner, should I mash in with a protein rest for 30 minutes and then bring it up to sacc temp?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Depends on the Pilsner. In general if the Kolbach Index (SNR) is < 40 you want to do a protein rest and if it is greater than 40 you do not. Obviously there is some grey area and if it is around 40 maybe you want to do a short protein rest.

Now, lets assume you don't have a malt analysis. You can try to look up a typical analysis for your product but IME these give ranges that are so wide as to be useless (Weyermann gives a typical range of like 36-44 for its Pilsner).

So my general advice if you don't have the specific analysis is that if you did not purchase a pilsner malt that is described as less modified or moravian/bohemian (more likely to be less modified), either do not do a protein rest or do a short one at a higher temperature.

No. you shouldn't need a protein rest. Nearly all malt available at homebrew shops is fully modified, meaning that a protein rest could do more harm than good.

Even if you had 5 lbs of undermodified pilsner malt as a portion of your 12 lb grainbill, you should be able to do a single infusion mash and have it turn out fine.

No, if you haven't brewed already, you won't need a protein rest. I do a protein rest when about 1/2 of the grist is wheat malt.

Latest posts

Back