Help, first stuck sparge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I mashed in with 14.5 quarts of water and after my first runnings I have 1.5 gallons in the bot! I added 8 quarts of sparge water and I'm hoping that that will reset the grainbed. What should I do if I don't get all the wort out?

Stir, take the runnings after your stir and pour them back on the top of the grainbed?

That's what I'd do.

Boy, am I an idiot! I forgot about the sparge. I was concerned about the amount of my first runnings and my mash-out and forgot that I still needed to sparge! :drunk: Oh well, I guess that's what I get when I multi-task carving pumpkins and brewing.

Things actually went very well today. I got 7 gallons in the brewpot, 5.5 gallons in the fermenter and my OG was 1.076 when BrewSmith called for 1.066! The best part was when I went to check the fermenter just now, I already had activity in the airlock!! I pitched a starter I made from some washed yeast. I ferment in a bucket, any danger of the airlock taking off on me? Should I move to a blowoff tube?

I've had the false bottom disconnect sometime during mashing in (unbeknown to me at the time). Best bet is to dump your mash into a diff. container then reset your false bottom if that was the problem. Otherwise use rice hulls if you're using anything more than 5-10% or so adjuncts. How much grain did you start with? with about 1.25 qt/# of grain I usually dont have any problems.

Latest posts

Back