Tastes Bitter... What do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildrebel

Reaction score
I took my first hydrometer reading tonight after 4 days of fermentation. I was unable to take a reading after I brewed because it had not come in the mail yet.

After I took the reading, which was 1.007, I tried the beer and it tasted very bitter. Will this bitter taste even out or will the final product taste like this? Is there anything I can do to tone down the bitter taste?

The recipe I brewed was a Fat Tire Clone kit from midwestern supply. The instructions were to boil the bittering hops for 60 min.

The bitterness will change with time as the beer conditions-- the way a beer tastes after only 4 days will be different from the final product. The yeast will take some bitterness away with it as it falls out of suspension, and the bitterness itself will smooth and mellow over time.

So my advice is to just wait-- don't do anything now and see how it changes as it conditions.

-Steve

+1 on Steve's advice

With a green beer many of the flavors are still separate and very distinct.
conditioning and proper aging will aid in those flavors becoming one good beer.

As an extreme example, the Hatch-Battener Barley Wine I made about 3 years ago is vastly different now from the way it tasted then. The bitterness was very bracing then, and unpleasant - now it's smooth, and balances the malt wonderfully. I am well pleased with my brew :)

Keep waiting. You'll see - it'll taste different two weeks from now, four weeks from now, eight weeks from now (if you can wait that long!), etc. One of the great things about homebrewing is being able to taste how your beers change over time.

Bitterness is definitely something that mellows, so if it's still bitter 4 weeks from now, just put it away for a little longer and it'll likely work itself out.

Back