Why should I batch sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You shouldn't...Is someone telling you you should?

you should do what works best for you...they both make beer. It's not that one is better than the other despite the arguments on one side or not...each works best for the brewer choosing to do it...If you are happy with fly than stick with it. Or experiment ans see which you like better..

If you ask 10 brewers the same question you will get 12 different answers and a few of them will be not based on practical experience anyway...

You might also be interested in knowing that there are other methods than just fly and batch....There are a few more. The guys at Australian Crafbrewer Radio did an interesting segment on the other ones...and they have over 60 years of brewing experience going for them, and John Palmer actually listens to them to learn stuff...

Take a listen...

August#1,2006

Yet another long program that wont bore you. Listen to our brewmaster have yet another rant, this time on binge drinking. There is an interview with a craftbrewer from Spain, and we sample a truly disgusting beer. Think you know all the methods of sparging, well the boys may surprise you. Share your funiest beer stories and win a great prize, and yet another requested song rounds out the program.
Click to listen...

http://radio.craftbrewer.org/shows/August1-06.mp3

You can also play with Hybrid sparging, which is somehwere in the middle between the two and just as controversial.....Basic Brewing Radio did a nice piece on it as well..

February 28, 2008 - Hop Update and Hybrid Sparging
Chris Colby from Brew Your Own Magazine gives some advice on hop substitution and tells us about a hybrid sparging method between batch and fly. Also, we get an update on the Utah home brewing legislation from Douglas Wawrzynski.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr02-28-08hybrid.mp3

I batch, but that doesn't mean you have to.

:mug:

I just did a batch sparge and got 80% efficiency. I also didn't taste any tannins. I guess the final verdict will be in a couple months when I crack one open, but I'm loving it. It was super easy...I did the sparge right inside the boil kettle with a couple of towels draped over to keep the temperature at 170F for 30 min.

Oh noes... not another fly vs. batch sparge seed. That thing grows like weeds.

Except...he didn't title the thread batch vs fly...so that is cool at least:D

I guess we could link batch vs fly threads....but maybe he'd just search and see the debate for hisself...or maybe he'll realize he's happy with his method and will stick with it...or try something new..It doesn't really matter....They both work great. That's why they're the two most popular methods...sorta the Michigan/Ohio State of sparge methods...both fantastic in their own right and both having rabid fans...

Seriously though...the only real diff is dependendant on your mash tun bottom..if you have a braid or manifold people tend to prefer batch sparging...If you have a false bottom, people swear that fly works better for them...

Chuck Norris just looks at yeast and they **** alcohol. No sugar or chemical processes needed.

(this thread is gonna go downhill FAST!)

I fly sparge. Why should I batch sparge? My concerns are lower OG, stuck mash and tannins.

I agree. Those are all concerns with fly sparging that could be alleviated by going to batch sparging.

:D

Seriously, there is no 'better' method. All of those concerns you mention above are dependent on YOUR BREWING TECHNIQUES, not the sparge method. People used to think some silly things, like batch sparging yields lower efficiency than fly sparing. Be careful when you hear things like this -- they often are not true.

My belief is that you should pick a method because you are most comfortable with it. Some like the set-and-forget method of fly sparging, while others like to get in there and stir and vorlauf like mad in batch sparging. Find what you like to do while brewing and go with that.

:D
Some like the set-and-forget method of fly sparging, while others like to get in there and stir and vorlauf like mad in batch sparging. Find what you like to do while brewing and go with that.

And then there's the group that are into the "No-Sparge" method. By nephew's brewclub are big proponents of it...of course they still throw out the nice aluminum kettle that comes with their cheap turkey fryers, beacuse they believe all those old myths about them...:eek:

what, no more chuck norris answers?

Chuck Norris doesn't even need a turkey fryer. He just looks at wort and it boils with perfect hop utilization.

Back