Cane sugar vs. brown sugar for grape cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made orange and plum cider in jail (called "hooch" there) by using pieces of bread for yeast and Jolly Ranchers for sugar. Believe it or not it worked out pretty damn well reagardless of the semi-accurate ingredients.

Today I decided to make my first cider outside the confines of a jail cell. I'll still be using the ghetto setup, but not quite as bad. I guess I should have done my research before shopping for the ingredients (duh) because after shopping I realized by reading over this forum that most people used brown sugar, but I bought white. Worse yet, I noticed after I bought it that I had thoughtlessly grabbed a bag of convectioner's powdered sugar, which contains cornstarch. Is the cornstarch going to have any negative effects on my brew other than a slightly less desirable taste? Thanks for any advice

Something just occurred to me- would grape cider be considered... wine? I must admit I'm not familiar with all the technicalities of this brewing business including what the difference between wine and cider is.

I have no idea what it would be called, but I think "hootch" works just fine. I don't think the cornstarch will affect your flavor much (not that it should matter much anyways) but if anything it will just end up cloudy. I imagine you'll still get drunk off it if you quaff enough of the stuff.

Alright that's good to know. Obviously I'm pretty new to all this. Great signature by the way, I'm sure the Catholics like that one :p

So it's probably the same or pretty close in the States.

The cornstarch is coagulating at the bottom but it doesn't appear to be affecting the brewing process. Pressure, texture, and smell are all about where they should be after a day. This is the first time I've tried it with grape juice so it should turn out sweeter than my previous experiments (thank God, lol)

scottsman you were never in jail ,your grammer is far more advanced than any inmate i have ever met and im a prison gaurd so dont lie about your setup just because your making a halfassed brew

Thank you for the grammar compliment, but believe it or not some high school graduates temporarily end up behind bars. I recieved a private school education, but shortly after graduation I had a... bad phase. Several underage drinking charges and a DUI topped off by assult landed me a total of probably a month and a half in jail, but never prison. Most of my jailtime was spent working out and playing chess.

So tell me D.O., in what county do you give each of your inmates spelling and grammar tests? :p

Yeah I'm prety dam prowd that my speling and grammer skylz r up 2 par now that I'm finallee on the owtsyde :-D

Yeah it's pretty kickass that we have a scripture passage that supports our alcoholism. I'm still searching for a good quote that accurately reflects my personality and views on drinking.

The grape hootch is turning out pretty good for only brewing for 3 days. I'm on my third glass and I've already caught a decent buzz, cheers :-D I'm brewing a bit of apfelwien too, but that will take a bit longer. Beer is my ultimate goal of brewery but I don't have all the ingredients yet

I guess I answered my own question that cane sugar works as well as brown

Latest posts

Back