Let me see your sausage!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit, I wasn't planning on making some, but when I stumbled upon this I had to run out and make some. 30 lbs. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394285709.745801.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394285734.835803.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Once a year I make our family recipe for kielbasa. I still need to make my batch this year. I did make some snack sticks using a LEM seasoning & cure packet. They turned out pretty good.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394326944.632983.jpg

Someone on another forum mentioned a Dried Polish Sausage called Kabanosy. I had to give it a try. Sorry this is the only pic I took. Very tasty!!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394327131.466694.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Inspired by this thread to make homemade sausages.

Did not have a stuffer, so hand stuffed them, wasn't too bad.

Spicy Italian sausage, and Thai Sausages, made with fresh lemongrass and red curry paste. Both are delicious!

DSC_0115.jpg

Those look pretty good for hand stuffed. The only sausage I've ever done by hand is summer sausage. Anything else I'd use at minimum my jerky canon.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

I have to agree. They look better than some of my earlier ones done with the stuffer. Ha ha.

Do you mind sharing the Thai recipe? Sounds delicious!!:D

I bought my meat grinder to get away from grocery store ground meat. I grind a lot of beef, but have made italian sausage several times. Pork loin, toasted fennel seed, salt, garlic power, onion powder. I don't link it, just grind the meat, mix seasoning, hand mix, then run it through the grinder again. I always cook it fresh. I make my own sauce - low sodium - and pasta, so I decided I'd start making my own sausage too.

I wouldn't mind making bratwurst, some type of smoked sausage, etc... I had never seen a sausage press before. Now I'm going to have to buy one....

You people are bad influences... The peer pressure... lol.

I have to agree. They look better than some of my earlier ones done with the stuffer. Ha ha.

Do you mind sharing the Thai recipe? Sounds delicious!!:D

1 1/2 cup lemongrass (roughly 6-7 stalks)
1/2 cup lime zest
1/2 cup red curry paste
1 cup parsley, although you could use 1/2 cup of lime leaves if they are in your area
~2 - 2.5 pounds of fresh ground pork
1/2 cup fish sauce
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup roasted chilies

Take the lemongrass & lime zest and blend. Squeeze some of the lime juice into blender to help blend. Mix with curry paste then combine everything together.

Enjoy!

1 1/2 cup lemongrass (roughly 6-7 stalks)

1/2 cup lime zest

1/2 cup red curry paste

1 cup parsley, although you could use 1/2 cup of lime leaves if they are in your area

~2 - 2.5 pounds of fresh ground pork

1/2 cup fish sauce

1/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup roasted chilies

Take the lemongrass & lime zest and blend. Squeeze some of the lime juice into blender to help blend. Mix with curry paste then combine everything together.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the recipe. I'm anxious to give it a try!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395450362.035284.jpg

I finally got around to making some Polish Kielbasa this year. I made 10 lbs. Half of it is going in the smoker tomorrow. The other half is getting vacuum sealed and going in the freezer for later. Ran out of Foodsaver bags though. DOH! :(

I finally got around to making some Polish Kielbasa this year. I made 10 lbs. Half of it is going in the smoker tomorrow. The other half is getting vacuum sealed and going in the freezer for later. Ran out of Foodsaver bags though. DOH! :(

So, for you guys that don't twist your sausage into links when you make it, when do you do that?

Just got my meat grinder/sausage maker the other day. Waiting on the casings to come so I can attempt to make some brats! Just in time too, the snow seems to have melted around the grill so I'll be able to fire that up

So, for you guys that don't twist your sausage into links when you make it, when do you do that?

As long as the casings are still moist you should be able to twist them. I left the above plate full of sausage in the fridge overnight uncovered to dry the casings some for smoking. I did split one while twisting as I was getting ready to hang them for drying. Gotta dry the casings or the smoke won't stick.

Just got my meat grinder/sausage maker the other day. Waiting on the casings to come so I can attempt to make some brats! Just in time too, the snow seems to have melted around the grill so I'll be able to fire that up

Congrats! What kind of casings are you planning to use?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395534874.561279.jpg

Here is the final product in the blooming stage! They turned out delicious. Very tasty and JUICY! It took forever to get the temp over 152 degrees F. I was afraid I over smoked/cooked the sausage. I'm wondering how far off my Bradley smoker is reading.:(

Hello everyone,

I'm really happy to be a site sponsor here!

We are a family-owned vacuum sealing company that will save you lots of money over the FoodSaver brand bags. Our bags and rolls are guaranteed to work with all countertop vacuum sealers.

I am offering all Home Brew Talk members a 10% discount off our already discounted pricing.

Save 10% off all of your Food Saver supplies and our VacMaster vacuum sealing residential equipment.

Just enter HB414 at checkout and the discount will automatically be applied.

We also carry chamber vacuum machines and supplies for the professional smoker!

Take care, and thanks for your business! :mug:

Lisa

http://VacuumSealersUnlimited.com

Perfect timing. I am almost out of 8" rolls. I just ordered a case with the code. Thanks!

Well here Ya go! There's 40 lbs of elk brats, 10 lbs of jalapeno elk brats, 5 lbs of Maple breakfast elk sausage, and 5 lbs of formed elk bacon! And to top it all off my extra pale ale to keep me going!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Fabulous thread. I've neer made sausage but, after reading the title had to click, I just had to. Can't say I was disappointed. Mouthwatering stuff, just sublime.

Salmonclubber, any chance of sharing your Summer Sausage recipe? I made some for the first time a month ago using Sausagemakers mix. Turned out more like Bologna than Summer Sausage

View attachment 277205

I just had some summer sausage that was more like balogna. It was good but not chunky and firm.

Salmonclubber, any chance of sharing your Summer Sausage recipe? I made some for the first time a month ago using Sausagemakers mix. Turned out more like Bologna than Summer Sausage

View attachment 277205

I use the same stuff as you are using premixed from the sausagemaker I also add special meat binder and powdered milk that i get from butcher-packer these two things improved my summer sausage so much everyone loves it I also like to give them a little kick not much just a bump so i add cayanne pepper to my summer sausages too one teaspoon per five pounds of meat is enough to change the flavor but not much heat Good stuff

Does the powdered milk and binder give the sausage that tart flavor that I'm familiar with in summer sausage? I have seen some use fermento or encapsulated citric acid.

Does the powdered milk and binder give the sausage that tart flavor that I'm familiar with in summer sausage? I have seen some use fermento or encapsulated citric acid.

No it does not I have tried citric acid in this sausage and did not like it dont know about fermento

Back