WTF, QD's not fitting?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I bought a pair of ball lock QD's along with a picinic tapper and some hose of Amazon a couple weeks ago and I'm just now getting to the point where I need to set them up (fortunately no beer ready for the keg yet). When I tried to put the QD's on the keg both of them were too tight to go on. I took my handy calipers and started measuring and I found that the QD's have the correct diameter in the beginning of the hole but after you get past the balls there is a ring there that is smaller than the post diameter. At first I thought it was an o'ring in the QD but now I'm pretty sure it is just molded plastic.

What the hell??? Are there different models of ball lock QD's and if so, how do I know which ones to get?

Yeah, just a little PO'd

Ball lock is a standard. I'd inquire from the seller about it what's up with that.

Are you sure you didn't get pinlock? I think it'd be pretty obvious anyways.

Ball lock is a standard. I'd inquire from the seller about it what's up with that.

Are you sure you didn't get pinlock? I think it'd be pretty obvious anyways.

Definitely ball lock QD's. I'll ask the seller, but probably not worth the hassle of an exchange - I only paid 7 bucks for the QD's, hose and picnic tapper

I gotta ask: just making sure you know that gas and beer (grey and black) QDs have different size posts?

edit: tre9er beat me to it!

I had one recently where if I unscrewed the posts a bit, the QD would connect. Turned out it was the spring in the poppet. I cut off about 1/4 - 1/2 the bottom circle of the spring, and if fixed it.

Well, I found a little gunk in the QD and cleaned it out along with lubing the o'rings and now they go on OK.

Guess I should wear my glasses more often :D

Back