Simple Cider Ready to Bottle... Re-Use Yeast/Lees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superslomo

Reaction score
I did a 5 gallon batch of cider (just local, fresh pressed, UV treated, fermented on Wyeast Sweet Mead strain), and after a month and change in primary carboy, it's down below 1.00, and I think ready to bottle for dry, carb'ed cider goodness.

Is it a no-no to re-use the lees/yeast in the bottom and just dump a bunch more of the cider into it? I didn't do a secondary for this, it doesn't need to be overpoweringly clear, and the taste is pretty well spot on as far as I can tell.

Once I've bottled, is there any harm in just re-sanitizing my airlock and bung, along with the bottleneck with some starsan and re-filling with more fresh cider?

there may be reasons why it's not a great idea, stressed yeast, gunky apple bits, etc, but i have done it a couple times and it has come out fine. we're talking 6% so the yeast weren't too boozed up, probably same as yours. huge lees after the 2nd go

They had a rough patch when the heat went out during the nor'easter, but they've been happily cooking along in the furnace room at close to 70 degrees. The flavor seemed pretty darn good, so I'd rather not mess with what isn't broken.

see standard disclaimer below :)

I've never done it. My brother has. Worked out for him (and me, with the drinking part).

I'm shooting to bottle this weekend... fingers crossed, and then I'll just tip the new cider into the carboy and hope for results nearly as good as this last round.

Back