Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I heated the grill up to 300, then I turned all the units off except one on low.

View attachment 364459

After 20 minutes it appears to be holding around 250. I think this will work decent enough for now!! :mug: :rockin:

Yes that will work for sure. Just remember if you are doing that in the middle of the afternoon in the sun it can actually raise the temp 25 degrees or more.. I have placed my tongs under the lid of a gas grill to let some air flow through and lower the temp with sucess but it requires lots of attention as it can drop really fast.

Yes that will work for sure. Just remember if you are doing that in the middle of the afternoon in the sun it can actually raise the temp 25 degrees or more.. I have placed my tongs under the lid of a gas grill to let some air flow through and lower the temp with sucess but it requires lots of attention as it can drop really fast.

Okay thanks for the heads up.

So, I heated the grill up to 300, then I turned all the units off except one on low.

View attachment 364459

After 20 minutes it appears to be holding around 250. I think this will work decent enough for now!! :mug: :rockin:

Excellent work thatvideokid. Now that's how you get to it. Never smoked with mesquite a whole lot. I have heard the flavor is very intense. As everyone knows I swear by Cherry and Hickory mixed but I'm willing to try other combos. For my children, I don't want to spice it up, so I start with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to 1 tablespoon of salt as base. Someone just posted a really good discussion on rubs and spices. Other recipes might be the exact opposite salt to sugar. Just depends on how you like it. When I don't use just sugar and salt I use Neely's rub recipes that contain cumin and ginger and cinnamon and are really festive. Rubs are so vast and different it just depends on how you like it.
I don't worry too much about a little extra temperature. I smoke with my Masterbuilt on its highest setting (275) almost always. That being said my thermometer says it's only about 250 to 260. I'm sure there are people here who can taste a pork butt that was smoked for 12 hours versus one that was smoked for 9, im just not one of them. You can put the fat towards the heat to help protect the meat . My cousin sent me a link on cooking ribs competition style that I posted earlier in this thread . Pretty cool, he rubs the ribs and smokes them for 3 hours and then wraps them in tin foil with honey, Bacon fat, hot pepper jelly, and stuff like that for two hours. then he rubs again and finishes them for one hour uncovered . There's guys on here that really know their stuff and I'm excited to see how they chime in. Anyways great work happy smoking and that Grill of yours is one of the best for a reason

I'm no master by any stretch, but one thing I do know 100%, is that built in gauge? Gotta go. Paint over it, break that glass and rip that needle off there, whatever, but pay zero attention to it. Those things 'may' be close, but more likely they can be off as much as 50 degrees or more. There are plenty of great recommendations for thermometers on here. You can go as inexpensive or expensive as you like, but even the least expensive one out there is going to get you within a few degrees. There are near instant reads, leave ins, what have you. Biggest thing is, do you want to trust your expensive meat to some coil based thermometer that may or may not be anywhere close to the temp you are trying to achieve? As with brewing, the #1 most important element of smoking/grilling/what have you, is temp control. If you don't have that, you might as well pull out the Kingsford and the lighter fluid. You'll have a just as high a likelihood of ruining that great cut of meat that you've spent all that time and energy researching and putting together that perfect rub, what to do, how to do, and putting together that smoker. By the way.... kudos to you guys that have cobbed together some pretty workable solutions for smokers! Necessity/mother of invention and all that. Well done.
Oh @Melana nice lookin Brisket!

I'm no master by any stretch, but one thing I do know 100%, is that built in gauge? Gotta go. Paint over it, break that glass and rip that needle off there, whatever, but pay zero attention to it. Those things 'may' be close, but more likely they can be off as much as 50 degrees or more. There are plenty of great recommendations for thermometers on here. You can go as inexpensive or expensive as you like, but even the least expensive one out there is going to get you within a few degrees. There are near instant reads, leave ins, what have you. Biggest thing is, do you want to trust your expensive meat to some coil based thermometer that may or may not be anywhere close to the temp you are trying to achieve? As with brewing, the #1 most important element of smoking/grilling/what have you, is temp control. If you don't have that, you might as well pull out the Kingsford and the lighter fluid. You'll have a just as high a likelihood of ruining that great cut of meat that you've spent all that time and energy researching and putting together that perfect rub, what to do, how to do, and putting together that smoker. By the way.... kudos to you guys that have cobbed together some pretty workable solutions for smokers! Necessity/mother of invention and all that. Well done.
Oh @Melana nice lookin Brisket!

Okay thanks for the heads up. I didn't think about it since for grilling I hardly even look at it. I just make sure it's in the 3-400 range. I also figured on a decently expensive grill it would be somewhat accurate, but I guess not. Plus I'm sure between the stratification of the heat, and the distance from the element, even if it was accurate it could be + or - quite a bit.

I'll look into getting some sort of grill thermometer.

So I don't have to pore over every entry in this thread - any recommendations for a thermometer for the smoker? I see them on Amazon that range from $10-15 for a dial and 3" stem. DozyAnt, Man Law, Char-Broil, etc. Suggestions?

So I don't have to pore over every entry in this thread - any recommendations for a thermometer for the smoker? I see them on Amazon that range from $10-15 for a dial and 3" stem. DozyAnt, Man Law, Char-Broil, etc. Suggestions?

These Thermoworks Dots are awesome and are on sale now. I use one for the meat and I use the chef alarm for the temp of the smoker because it has a high/low alarm, but a second dot would work fine too.

http://www.thermoworks.com/DOT

i see, never mind!
But we're talking about $60-90 for either both devices or two of the Dots. I would spend the money for the probe, but not for monitoring the temp of the smoker.

You really are a great learner videokid. Something like that is exactly what you want. It measures the meat and the temp. I think my Sur La tab my mother-in-law gave me was like 30 bucks. I'm not sure how accurate it is and would really like something like that Maverick. The most important temp is the temp inside the meat(if using charcoal temp in grill becomes more important). I know people could disagree with me, but 200 degrees is 200 degrees inside a pork butt and that's what you want. There are plenty of people who cook pork butt at high temp and win competitions. A good example is a pork loin . I think I take them to 140 let's say. If you grill it at 500 degrees you stop it at 140. If you smoke it you stop it at 140. That being said you need to know the temp inside as well and that thermometer you chose will do both. Inside temperature becomes key in planning when something will be done so its ready at the right time you want it done. Like if people are coming over in an hour you might need to turn it up. In the above example of a pork loin they cook really fast and you might want to turn it way down so you have more time to smoke it. Temperature adjusts the time something will cook not just the quality i guess im saying. Excited to see where this all leads you.

View attachment 1470066057061.jpg

I have three or four frozen pork butts in the freezer and two or three hams. Everytime I go to the store if they're on sale I just pick them up. My mom just got me a slicer for my birthday and I'm so excited to smoke a ham and cut lunch meat. I think I'm going to just put brown sugar on the ham as they're plenty salty

Two smokes into using this ThermoPro TP08 dual probe remote alarm unit. $49.00 - performed flawlessly. Alarm woke me up at 2:00 AM when Pork Butt finally reached 203 degrees. Will start the night before next time. Watched PGA Championship all afternoon and only needed to adjust temp on electric smoker a few times when alarm went off.
TP-08-Thermometer-Front-View-Transmitter-and-Receiver-Probe-Cords-Removed_grande.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going start tomorrow! Don't have the thermometer yet, but I have a thermoworks instant read for internal. I'll just set the grill as low as possible once we get smoking. Picked up a 2.6lb tenderloin and a couple pounds of bacon to wrap the thing in. Going to go pretty sweet and savory with the rub to compliment the bacon. Spice it up just a bit with coarse pepper and cayenne.

Picked up some cherry wood chips so I'll go 75/25 cherry to mesquite.

I'm going start tomorrow! Don't have the thermometer yet, but I have a thermoworks instant read for internal. I'll just set the grill as low as possible once we get smoking. Picked up a 2.6lb tenderloin and a couple pounds of bacon to wrap the thing in. Going to go pretty sweet and savory with the rub to compliment the bacon. Spice it up just a bit with coarse pepper and cayenne.

This didn't happen if you don't post pictures after its done...... ;)

It sounds like it's going to be great !

Yessss. Don't matter, you can't make it go any lower than all them off and one on low. so all a thermometer is going to tell you is temp. I'm not convinced on an expensive grill like that, that the gauge doesn't work anyways. Make sure you get those chips smoking before you put the meat in. Low won't be enough to get them started. It'll be done in two to three hours. So happy for you best wishes and sorry if I've been more of a pain in the neck then helpful.

Oh, and put a piece of tin foil under the meat or pan w water as well so you don't make a big mess in grill.

Well now I'm committed! The loin was actually split in two, so I have 2 x 1.3lb loins. Loins are rubbed and waiting to be smoked tomorrow. I think I picked up a pretty decent set of loins? I don't really know what I'm looking for in a tenderloin.

View attachment 364593

View attachment 364594

View attachment 364595

It's hard to tell what you're getting if it is packaged. Anytime it's much over a pound, it is probably 2 of them in the package.

Those look good. You almost can't mess up tenderloin, but I would only cool them to 145-150 degrees if you can.

It's hard to tell what you're getting if it is packaged. Anytime it's much over a pound, it is probably 2 of them in the package.

Those look good. You almost can't mess up tenderloin, but I would only cool them to 145-150 degrees if you can.

Yeah, I wish I could have stopped by the butcher but they aren't open on Mondays.

So tomorrow I'm going to pull it out of the fridge, let it warm up to room temp. Then I'm going to rub it down again and wrap it in a bacon weave and toothpick it down.

I'll pack the smoker box with cherry and a little mesquite. Put the burner under the box on high until I get good smoke. Then turn it down to low. I'll put a pan with a little water next to the box.

Throw the loins on the opposite side of the grill with a pan below. After an hour or I'll check on them, then leave it alone for another hour. It should be getting there and I'll brush it with some honey. Then let it hang out until it's 145-155. Pull it out, let it rest 1/2hr, then serve.

Any flaws here?

The bacon won't get crispy at that low of a temperature...

You'll either need to crank the neat, or finish on a grill or under the broiler unless you like rubbery bacon...

I agree with AZ_IPA.

It should only take 5-10 minutes on the broiler to crisp it up, though.

I have also crisped it in a frying pan before, although that takes a few turns to get all the sides crispy.

The bacon won't get crispy at that low of a temperature...

You'll either need to crank the neat, or finish on a grill or under the broiler unless you like rubbery bacon...

Yeah I kind of figured that. Hopefully I'll update you guys with some success tonight

Using quick thaw method, want to have this puppy tonight. I have found smoking on the gas grill doesn't apply the smoke quite as well. But it's a viable method specially if you want quick. That pellet fed smoker I saw didn't do that good either. I think the smoke coming from the side rather than under it makes little difference. That can of course be cured I assume with using more smoke.

View attachment 1470261059440.jpg

Good question. Never crossed my mind. I bought like 4 of them I've smoked two already. I always grill or smoke hams. This one here I rubbed with a little honey and then coated it real good in brown sugar. It's good, perfect for the kids, but the rub is different than a rub containing a bunch of spices. Tried to get some good pics of it, thought it was the prettiest little pig hind quarter. If you cook a ham like this without doing something it's not going to taste very complex. 4 hours it took to smoke at 250 (230 on thermometer) to 140. Hickory and Cherry to the bitter end. Plenty of it. My mom gave me that slicer that you can see in the background for my birthday I'm so excited to use it. Experimenting with smoking slower in hopes of darkening the rub Less

View attachment 1470279982178.jpg

View attachment 1470279993778.jpg

You're smoking a smoked ham?

One of my favorite things to do!
Slather it up with more sauce or seasoning and smoke that bad boy low and slow. Turns out amazing!!
I do preferred the spiral cut hams, but have done a boneless one like his.

Are you using that 3-2-1 method

I don't always wrap them. Let them go at 225-250 for 3 hrs, then wrapped with an impromptu mixture of melted butter, a little apple cider vinegar and some IPA - just put a couple tablespoons under the meat - then foiled for another 2 hrs. Rested for 30 mins, then basted with a little sauce and finished in the oven uncovered. So I guess that's pretty much the concept of a 3-2-1, I think.

Completely fall apart, to the point where I wished it had a little bite to it. Hard to complain, but seriously could just eat with a fork. Won't let them go so long with this method next time. Probably up there with some of the prettiest ribs I've made - before slicing (and tasty as hell), just not quite the bite I'd prefer to them. More like pulled pork on a rib bone than what you'd expect out of ribs.

Back