dry hopping my brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justio

Reaction score
I just made my 3rd ag batch. It's a 10 gallon batch of an American style brown ale.. sorta.

Usually it's not accurate to style to have nut flavor in an American Brown.. More common in English Browns/Milds. Whatever though, I'm putting a small amount of organic hazelnut extract into my batch when I rack it to the secondary tomorrow.

I also tweaked it out of style a bit more by putting 4 oz of organic quick cut oats into the mash, just to add a touch of oatmeal flavor/creaminess.

My hops have been
3 oz cascade 5 min into the boil
2 oz williamette at flame out

My question for all you pro's out there is this..
Do you think I should dry hop in my secondary or leave it as is?
The only hops I have is 1 oz of the GR Northern Brewer hops(not exactly a traditional hops to dry hop a brown ale, I know).
I'm broke, otherwise I'd go get some more Williamette, or possibly Kent Goldings or Fuggles.

I'm just not sure if I should or not. With the other "not to style" elements I have going on (hazelnut flavor, touch of oatmeal), should I just leave it be, or keep pushing it and dry hop it w/ the oz of Northern Brewers?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!:mug:

Back