Building a toolbox-mounted wort pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWall

Reaction score
I have been writing a series of blog posts on installing a wort pump in a toolbox over at Lug Wrench Brewing. The build is based on a BYO article, but has been expanded to include an extra electrical outlet, which allows it to also function as an extension cord. I thought some people on this forum might like to know about the post series. You can check it out at:

http://www.lugwrenchbrewing.com/2010/04/wort-pump-in-toolbox-3-build-steps.html

i like the idea, as i want to add a pump, but dont have a dedicated "rig" for brewing right now.

Heh, that's funny. If you read the BYO article, not having a dedicated rig was my justification for the brewing toolbox in the first place.

OP, that is a fine build you did there.

Great looking build! Very clean.

Did you consider putting T connector with an extra ball valve on the output side for priming? These pumps do not self prime, and can be tricky getting them started. Also they're magnetic drive, there's no real danger of letting them run dry. The motor and fan will still spin even though the impellers aren't moving liquid. That being said, I still wouldn't want to run it for an extended period of time like that. Reading your blog I just thought I'd point that out, especially since the first time you go to use it, you'll probably have it running for awhile when trying to get it to prime.

Good luck with it!

Pump in a toolbox is very handy. I did something similar for my portable RIMS, in my signature below. I will take mine to the local home brew club brew day tomorrow to show it off.
-Ben

Thanks for all of the feedback! I have used the pump for a couple of batches now and I have had trouble getting things primed and all set during the boil. I think this is mostly due to hops getting clogged in my filter on the intake for the ball valve in the kettle. I am thinking of removing it completely and seeing what happens. I usually start with draining a bit of the wort into a bucket to get the pump filled with liquid. Then I connect the return connection and it works for a while until I get hops clogged in the screen (which is a 12" long SS hose braid).

It is a great piece of equipment and I am just to adjust my process at this point to get the most out of it. Cheers.

TWall

Pump-in-a-toolbox is /always/ a good idea! Since you are adding a receptacle anyways, you might consider making it a GFCI outlet, and using it to filter power to the rest of the box. That way you always know your pump is protected.

I did my own a few months back, although I also added a temperature controller. I can run the pump on/off/temp-controlled, have 2 always-on outlets as part of my GFCI, and have 2 outlets that are run by the temp controller. All in the same box, which is /really/ nice.

I haven't built my RIMS accessory yet, but I plan to.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/brew-controller-158448/

Oh, and you might want to consider adding some vent-holes for air circulation if the pump will be running for a while. I need to add those to mine soon.

Inspired by this thread I did Pump-in-a-toolbox with my LG 3-MD-HC. One of my rules is always use what I have on hand if possible, so the wiring and boxes are re-used. The plumbing looks Rube Goldberg, but I wanted to be able to prime the pump. It also works for clearing liquid from the hoses before I disconnect them. I also cut a complete hole for the pump rather than mess with larger bolts (which are not your typical BigBox bolts). Works great.

Pump-in-a-toolbox 1.jpg

Pump-in-a-toolbox 2.jpg

Pump-in-a-toolbox 3.jpg

Dutchbrown, glad our post helped get you inspired. I have really found a lot of utility for mine, as I have worked it into the brewing process. I use it to help in cooling and to easily transfer cooled wort to the fermenters. I always helps to have the extra outlet on hand on brew day as well. Cheers!

i have one as well. i had to buy longer machine screws to attach the head to the pump body....i wasnt getting enough thread engagement with the original screws.

Back