How do I estimate what the og SHOULD be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I did the all grain tragedy brew the other day and I know what the og was, but what SHOULD it have been based on my ingredients? I tried a search but all I get is missing your og...I have no idea what it should have been to see how I did...also what should the final be? if someone could tell me I would appreciate it..I'd appreciate more someone showing me how to figure it myself.

9 lbs two row
1/2 pound of crystal 40
1/8 pound of roasted barley
3/4 pound of special B

S-05 YEAST

You can use an online calculator like the one I used to use at Beer calculus.com

Or you can buy a product such as beersmith or beertoolspro, or the other software that slips my mind. But I got started and used Beer Calculus for a couple years before buying beersmith (At the time yo couldn't save the recipes, but since then they have a place called hopville where you can store your recipes and share them...I still have some there. :D

I did the all grain tragedy brew the other day and I know what the og was, but what SHOULD it have been based on my ingredients? I tried a search but all I get is missing your og...I have no idea what it should have been to see how I did...also what should the final be? if someone could tell me I would appreciate it..I'd appreciate more someone showing me how to figure it myself.

9 lbs two row
1/2 pound of crystal 40
1/8 pound of roasted barley
3/4 pound of special B

S-05 YEAST

We all have different equipment. I have an efficiency of 70% or so, so that recipe would be 1.052 for 5 gallons on my system. Others get 85%, so that recipe would be 1.063 on their system. Some even get lower efficiencies than I do- so you can see that it would vary greatly depending on the brewer, the crush, the equipment, the water chemistry, etc.

HEY!!! I DID GOOD! My batch ended up at AROUND 4.5 gallons. I put in the ingredients at 4.5 gallons in beercalculus and it said estimated OG was 1.061...I got 1.060!
Final gravity should be 1.017...I will admit to taking a hydro reading a few minutes ago and I am at 1.022-24

HEY!!! I DID GOOD! My batch ended up at AROUND 4.5 gallons. I put in the ingredients at 4.5 gallons in beercalculus and it said estimated OG was 1.061...I got 1.060!
Final gravity should be 1.017...I will admit to taking a hydro reading a few minutes ago and I am at 1.022-24

With 4.5 gallons, an OG of 1.060 with those ingredients would mean your efficiency was about 73%.

If you know that you'll get 73% each time, it makes it easier to formulate recipes. So, consistency now is key!

With 4.5 gallons, an OG of 1.060 with those ingredients would mean your efficiency was about 73%.

If you know that you'll get 73% each time, it makes it easier to formulate recipes. So, consistency now is key!

YOOP... had you read the thread on this brew, you would be laughing at your own statement right now lol....wife and I have named this beer cluster### ale!!! it was horrendous but fun. we had pots of hot water everywhere trying to get this done. now another question.. I am not the smartest guy ( as evidenced by my constant barrage of questions) but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to join hopsville on the beer calculus site!

Back