Not getting any head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
As for beer, my all grain recipes don't hold a head and a few (a Belgian Wit with a lot of wheat and oats) don't get a head to begin with. I'm pretty good with rinsing all cleaning agents off (I use Oxyclean to clean and bleach to sanitize). What's the deal? I actually think my extract recipes (first 5) had better head than the 5 all grain recipes. Thoughts?

I thought I read somewhere if you wash and sanitize with 5 Star products, you'll get better head. Can someone confirm this?

Thank You Jaybird! I was beginning to think we'd gotten to a point where we let meatballs like that sail by!!:cross:

You must remember to lick it before you stick it. :ban:

Seriouly I used to add some a half to a full pound of dry wheat malt to my brews for the full boil seemed to really work well. May just be a coincidence but I do remember reading somewhere that the protein in wheat malt did help with head retention.

Found this in BYO:
Some of the more common foam-positive ingredients include flaked wheat, flaked barley, wheat malt, and barley malt. Many brewers make a habit of adding a touch of wheat malt to every beer. At low levels the impact on flavor will be small while still imparting foam-positive characteristics.

Here is a link to whole article.
http://***********/feature/386.html

We usually add about 5% Dextrin (Cara-Pils) malt in each batch.

Two of our brewing buddies kept commenting about our great head...we just smirked...and since then both have said they now do the same with great results.

MorBro:tank:

I never had this problem - not getting head -until I got married. Now . . . I rarely get it. :p

I get a product called Cara-Foam. It seems to help with head formation and retention. Of course, Jamil and the guys on the BN will tell you that promblems with head retention are brewing problems that should not be corrected with additional ingredients; however, I have no problem dumping in a bit of Carafoam for better head retention.

the_bird said:
Q: Why are brides always smiling on their wedding day?
A: They know they'll never have to give another blowj*b in their lives...

Can I get a mod over here in aisle 3, please! :D

Regarding the main topic of this thread... I use a little wheat malt in all my batches and I've had great luck with my beers all having a beautiful creamy head that persists. That's the one thing about brewing that I seem to nail every time. Other things... like flavor profile, gravity, hop profile, temps.... well.....

Regarding the other topic of this thread, sometimes you get the same amount after marriage as before.... which is never enough....

poor head on a beer can also be from..too high an adjunct ratio, lipids in the ferment (excessive sparging;autolized yeast) overfoaming in fermentation, overboiling, insufficient or deteriorated hops and contact with oil.

Latest posts

Back