Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barley (Probably an overused dog name around these forums, lol)

1378207_10202917084482337_1919860038341990862_n.jpg

Great looking GSD. Love a sable coat

prestige worldwide, bungs and holes

Had a close call with our lab/wheaten mix this weekend. She started coughing really violently and pawing at her face. When i noticed this i also noticed that a piece of the nylabone she was chewing had broken off. I immediately grabbed her around her waist from above and put my fist into the bottom of her rib cage and pulled firmly towards her neck. She gagged and took a deep breath, then inlaid er on her side and I swept her throat with my fingers and was able to get the piece out. She is absolutely fine now but it scared the hell out of me. I highly encourage anyone with a dog to take just a few minutes and read up on how to do the heimlich on your furry friends.

I have always given my dogs smoked cow femur's, it takes them a month or two to chew it up. One day I broke out a new femur and gave it to my dog, let her eat it for a couple of hours before I take it away. I come back and the freaken thing is gone, she ate the entire bone in two hours. I thought she was going to die, but she didn't.

I can't give KB anything like that. The only thing he hasn't been able to destroy is a black Kong. I've given him toys made of recycled fire hoses and truck tires and he's had them down to small pieces in minutes. Interesting how they all said "Indestructible" on the package. Bones he just crunches up.

I can't give KB anything like that. The only thing he hasn't been able to destroy is a black Kong. I've given him toys made of recycled fire hoses and truck tires and he's had them down to small pieces in minutes. Interesting how they all said "Indestructible" on the package. Bones he just crunches up.

Thats my dog too. I started giving him antlers and it seems to work a little better they hold up better then bones do for his rough chewing nights. But yea any indestructible toy is mere scraps about 10 min into him getting it.

Thats my dog too. I started giving him antlers and it seems to work a little better they hold up better then bones do for his rough chewing nights. But yea any indestructible toy is mere scraps about 10 min into him getting it.
Sage used to be that way, too.. but he's slowed down somewhat. Any cloth-based toy is going to meet its demise in short order, but anything tougher than that will be around a while. Heck, he's got one of those 3' long rawhide bones that he's had for over a year now -- he very rarely chews on it, preferring instead to just carry it around.

the only non-plastic/non-rubber toys that have lasted longer than a few minutes with the Howdy are the old Dogzilla cloth ones they don't make anymore.

he just has no interest in plastic or rubber toys

View attachment 200732
Met Bosco in the wee hours of this morning. He is a 10 year old US Navy Malinoit that has done deployments to Afghanisan, Iraq and other similar locations. He is still going strong at ten and looks great for any age. What a great pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

thanks, Bosco, for your service!

and for yours, too, HornetSparky... sounds like you might drive an F/A-18 with electrical issues?

Truly a Hornet driver

The electrical issues were in my stateroom. Apparently the ship's engineer did not like my DIY project in the stateroom.

There's a fine line between fame and infamy…

Sage used to be that way, too.. but he's slowed down somewhat. Any cloth-based toy is going to meet its demise in short order, but anything tougher than that will be around a while. Heck, he's got one of those 3' long rawhide bones that he's had for over a year now -- he very rarely chews on it, preferring instead to just carry it around.

Yeah, if you give KB any kind of a stuffed toy the first goal is to kill any squeakers and that is closely followed by complete disembowelment of said stuffy. What seems to work best for him are the big knotted rope toys. He enjoys playing with them too much to shred then right away and they're cheap enough that once he gets bored with it and starts cutting it into little pieces we can just get a fresh one.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400814803.483891.jpg

This guy! Third month recovering from extreme TPLO surgery. His knees, well only one now, are extremely deformed. Rescued dog from (probably) a puppy mill in California. He still has on more leg to go! Thank god for Pet Plan insurance. Follow them on FB. They are legit.

View attachment 201106

This guy! Third month recovering from extreme TPLO surgery. His knees, well only one now, are extremely deformed. Rescued dog from (probably) a puppy mill in California. He still has on more leg to go! Thank god for Pet Plan insurance. Follow them on FB. They are legit.

Pet insurance is awesome. We haven't had to use ours yet *knock on wood* but I've had a few friends that did and it's a lifesaver. If I never use it, I'll still be happy I spent the 7 bucks a month or whatever it's costing me. It's an automatic payment so I don't remember. I don't even notice it when it's taken out of my account so it's not much.

I just know that if KB eat's something he shouldn't or encounters a raccoon in the back yard or something, it's not going to make me have to choose between him and paying the mortgage.

I'd hate to have to move on short notice.

Pet insurance is awesome. We haven't had to use ours yet *knock on wood* but I've had a few friends that did and it's a lifesaver. If I never use it, I'll still be happy I spent the 7 bucks a month or whatever it's costing me. It's an automatic payment so I don't remember. I don't even notice it when it's taken out of my account so it's not much.

I just know that if KB eat's something he shouldn't or encounters a raccoon in the back yard or something, it's not going to make me have to choose between him and paying the mortgage.

I'd hate to have to move on short notice.

Our insurance IS WAY more than that. You must have a huge deductible or low coverage.

Just spent another week in the hospital and both of my full blooded German Shepherds are pissed at me. My Service dog Dixie is especially pouty and has been seeking to make up for a week of lost moments with nudges and outright demands for my complete and undivided attention. Indi my East German Border Patrol dog is still out in the yard moping and has made it clear she missed her attention too. But I am home and on the mend again so I will get to make up and drive on a while longer. Happy Memorial Day, Thank a VET for your freedom and be glad your language is not German or Japanese.
Bob

View attachment 201890
Zeus, an explosive-sniffing lab mix that will love you forever if you scratch his butt.

Very cool. In other circumstances, KB would have made a great bomb or drug search dog. He's very task oriented and one of his favorite games to play is when we let him out in the yard and then hide a cookie somewhere in the house or on one of the people in it while he's out there. We keep having to find harder and harder hiding spots because he's gotten really good at it.

Very cool. In other circumstances, KB would have made a great bomb or drug search dog. He's very task oriented and one of his favorite games to play is when we let him out in the yard and then hide a cookie somewhere in the house or on one of the people in it while he's out there. We keep having to find harder and harder hiding spots because he's gotten really good at it.

Our sheltie plays that game too. We have to cover his ears when we hide the biscuit (or take him out of the room) because he'll listen to where in the house we're going and look there first. He's too smart for his own good sometimes.

Wow, Radar is a nice-lookin' dog! What breed/mix? (I don't know my breeds well enough :p)

Radar is a Primarily Husky mix, with German Shepherd mutt undertones.

We rescued her, but after owning her she's got a great mix of high-energy with the smarts of a GSD. Biggest downfall has been that she requires constant leash/line time, otherwise she'll run off.

Cool, I figured there was some husky in there. There are certain breeds I love but I can't justify buying from a breeder when there are so many dogs out there that need great homes. Not saying anything negative about people who do buy from breeders, I just don't think it's for me.

Dash. His second appearance. He's just chilling . Well maybe he's wide awake! . ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401160078.285218.jpg

Latest posts

Back