I Hate Computers!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decojuicer

Reaction score
Last night, I used my wife's digital camera to make a video that I planned on posting on youtube. Because the camera records video in mov format, I couldn't use my windows movie maker to clean it up and edit it before I upload it, so I started looking for a FREE program to convert mov to avi. But either the program wasn't really free, or it didn't work right.

I finally found a program that was free, and that I thought would work right, but it still won't work with Windows Media Player or Windows Movie Maker. Can somebody help me before I actually put my fist through my monitor??

Please, I don't want to replace the monitor or go to the hospital tonight.

All "buy a mac jokes" aside, all you have to do is convert it to an AVI or some other windows friendly format.

Some thing like RAD video converter will do the trick. There's plenty of shareware/freeware programs out there to convert it. Just google .mov to .avi converter.

Hope that solves it for you.

For Windows I've been really happy using Super© for converting to various formats, and resizing video for watching on my cellphone. It's free and powerful. One thing I would recommend about it though is to download it from somewhere other than eright, as they bury the actual download link and require all sorts of open settings for IE to get it. Try here.

i;m just upset as the 1tb 32mb/cache seagate drive i bought 2 months ago took a crap on my main pc tonight. bye bye to my last two brews in beer smith i didn't have backed up.

One of the things I look for in a camera is the format of the video. MOV won't stop my from buying a camera if the other features are nice, but it sure is handy to be able to instantly edit it on the computer without having to convert to a different format.

you know you could just get some better editing software,, the free stuff with windows has to be crapy,, if it ever gets too good thay get sued for monopoly bundling ,remeber the netscape antitrust stuff.

this is good i have used it and it is bargen for what it does
VideoStudio X2 - Video Editing

this is great too and way cheeper than photoshop
All Products - Home

I found out the big problem last night when I called my IT guy(my uncle who owes me $10). Apparently, my computer was missing some codecs, and that's why all of the stuff that I was trying to use wouldn't work. After he installed them for me, it now works great.

Now I just have to figure out what a codec is. LOL

Thanks for all the help.

It means coder-decoder, has to do with the method used to encode the video and hence also to decode it, there are many methods, so you'll likely not have them all unless you get a large codec pack, seems like your uncle set you straight though.

I like using K-lite codec pack cuz when you misconfigure something it allows you to reset all back the way it was. Plus it usually includes everything u need.

Just for info, Give Away Of The Day has a Flash video editor application up today (Thu,16Apr09). Keep an eye on there regularly, as they frequently have video editing software available.

Back