Campden and sulties interchangeable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wreckinball9

Reaction score
I have about a dozen assorted melomels and ciders under my belt (including many that arent done) but I am about to try my first fruit wine.

I have a Vintner's Plum Wine Base on its way from AHS. I am reading through the instructions online, and it mentions bisulphite multiple times. I dont have any bisulphite, but I do have Campden Tablets and Potassium Sorbate from my cider making.

Can I interchange Campden with the recommended bisulphite?

Campden tablets are potassium metabisulphite or K-Meta for short. There is more then one bisulphite, such as sodium but they serve the same purpose in homebrewing. Some prefer one or the other, but mostly k-meta. So yes you can interchange them, just make sure you are using the right amount. Campden tablets come in at least two dosage sizes and you will have to account for that when replacing powdered k-meta with tablet form.

ok thought so. thanks for the confirmation.

by the way Tusch, loved the BB cider thread. inspired me to make my own five gallon batch which is still in the secondary.

Love to hear it wreckinball, still enjoying that now. I think I'll throw a 12oz in the fridge right now, either for tonight to tomorrow after work. How did your recipe differ and how's it turning out so far.

nice, glad you are still enjoying it. it would be a shame to age it for a year like you did and drink it all up quickly.

mine has been going about two months. i used:
-2 gallons motts AJ
-3 Gallons True Blue wild blueberry juice
-2 lbs light brown sugar
-4184 wyeast sweet mead yeast
-pectic enzyme
-yeast nutrients

racked after 3 weeks (no gravity reading...no excuse, just lazy) onto 3 lbs frozen/thawed BBs.

not nearly as many blueberries as yours, but im hoping the fact that i used blueberry juice as the base will help. the TrueBlue brand is only partially made from blueberries, it also has apple in it, but its all natural and smells awesome like BB coming out of the airlock. you left yours on the blueberries for months with no problems right?

i definitely dont have your patience, but i do want to give it a few more months.

Yeah I left it on the berries for several months at a time between primary and tertiary. Your recipe sounds quite interesting. Look forward to seeing how it ends up.

Back