Port Barrel Aged Oatmeal Stout - Anderson Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
Just got a sample bottle of this from a buddy and his wife (a travel/tourism writer) who did a tour and write-up of their brewery (NoCA). It was aged 7 years in used port wine barrels. What an interesting taste. Guess they're not sure if they'll go to market with it. I'd vote yes as I really enjoyed it but with that much aging...
Just had to share :mug:

If that is Anderson Valley Brewing Company, I have nothing but good things to say about their beers! I find their selection to be true to style yet inventive at the same time. I recently made a trip to the coast, and stopped in at their pub and had a few samples. Very good stuff, but I didn't see the aged oatmeal stout just their normal stout. I think my favorite of theirs is probably their Imperial IPA...and as they say it in "Boonting", it was Hop Ottin'! A close second had to be their Double Abbey Ale, which was silky smooth...too smooth in fact, since it's 9% ABV :drunk:.

Yep - same place. I got a 22 from them without even having a label on it.

My mom brought back some Hop Ottin' from CA for me and it was fresher and loved it. I enjoyed the Oatmeal Stout most of all since I first tried their beer back in the mid 90's. I can imagine how heavenly that barrel aged must have been!

anyone know how to simulate port wine barrel aging? i would like to try doing that to a stout recipe that i usually bourbon barrel age by soaking oak chips in bourbon but i don't know if port wine has enough alcohol to sanitize the oak chips

Back