barley flakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottfro

Reaction score
i'm in the process of switching as much of my brewing ingredients to organic as possible. my LHBS has a few organic malts but no organic barley flakes which i commonly use to bump my alcohol up a bit and add a some creaminess to my brews. if i purchased organic barley flakes from a local food store can i assume that it will behave the same way as barley flakes i will find at my LHBS or are brewing barley flakes processed differently?

I am about to find out myself next week. I just came back from the organics store with some soft and hard wheat berries, and some flaked barley as well. I think they will be fine.

mr x said:
I am about to find out myself next week. I just came back from the organics store with some soft and hard wheat berries, and some flaked barley as well. I think they will be fine.

i'm curious if consistency is maintained to the same degree with food grade barley vs brewing barley. i'll be curious to hear how it goes....

Back