Gluten Free ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MntFresh

Reaction score
Hey guys.. i have a friend who can only drink gluten free beer.. i was wondering if / and how you could find ingredients and or recipies to make this type of beer.

I'd be interested in seeing a recipe that somebody has tried and hear how it comes out

Right now, your only options are to buy sorghum extract and brew without any specialty grains or malt your own sorghum. Only had one GF homebrew & it tasted much like commercial GFs.

Most online stores carry the extract.

GF may not be as simple a subject as you might think. Grain seeds have been selected over the years to make better bread resulting in the gluten content being increased several times over. If your gluten intolerance is severe you might be diagnosed as a celiac, but a large percentage of the population never gets diagnosed and suffers forever.
A Veterinary by the name of John Symes has a website devoted to the Gluten problem titled DOGTORJ.com in which he describes the gluten problems that affect animals and humans. He has found that the effect of gluten is not as simple as we are led to believe and it varies from individual to individual and also varies as to symptom and degree.
A study out of Finland relates gluten to mental problems and I have found from personal experience, similarly, that milk can cause many problems . I'm not sure of a relationship to gluten, all I know is that my sinus, lung and rheumatism problems all left after I quit milk.
I guess what I am saying is that unless you know for sure that you are gluten tolerant, be cautious.
I am also curious to know if gluten or its' effects are diminished by fermentation and if so, is it dependent on the type of yeast or other factors.

Check out Grouse Malting company. http://grouseco.com/

You can get malted millet and can do an all grain batch using a step mash and it taste incredible. Just make sure you use GF dried yeast (any of Safale's line)

Also yes, gluten can be altered by fermentation, and there are some people who believe that one factor in the rise of gluten intolerance is because we no longer make traditional sourdough bread (how it used to be) because we have commercial yeast. I would say its more dependent on time than the type of yeast. Also, there is theory that modern wheat is mainly the problem, and that traditionally fermented spelt or einkorn can be non-problematic for some people. It all depends on the person and there are different degrees.

Back