What did I do wrong? foamy, foamy, foamy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveZegers

Reaction score
Hi, I was just trying to figure out where I went wrong.

We just brewed our second batch of beer from a Brooklyn Brew Shop set. Nothing fancy, just followed the directions. The first time went ok.

This time, same thing, followed the directions, but when we open the beer it just comes pouring out of the bottle like a shaken up warm root beer. To the point where there is really no liquid left in the bottle and nothing really to drink. (If I let it sit in a pitcher or something, it eventually settles and tastes fine.)

So what did I do wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks!

The time i've had issues with foamy beer was when I used 2x priming sugar. I realized my mistake and refrigerated after only a week to keep from getting bottle bombs. Did you use too much priming sugar? How about taste, does it taste like it got infected?

While it could be an infection my bet would be that you either bottled too soon or used too much priming sugar.

How long did you ferment before bottling?

Did you take gravity readings before bottling?

How much priming sugar was in the kit?

Did you end up with the correct volume of beer or ended up short?

How many bottles did you get from the batch and what was the batch size for the kit?

We call those gushers and it occurs sometimes because the co2 has not fully distributed through the beer and sits on the top. Let the bottles condition longer and then put a couple in the fridge for a few days and then try one, should solve the problem. If the beer tasted fine when you sampled then it's not infected.

It was in the bottles for almost a month. I'm a total beginner so I just followed the instructions with the kit.

As for the sugar, the instructions called for honey during bottling.

I'm not sure exactly how much. There was some confusion about how much.
I suppose it could have been added twice.

It tastes fine, that's what had me so confused.

Thanks for the help.

SteveZegers said:
It was in the bottles for almost a month. I'm a total beginner so I just followed the instructions with the kit.

As for the sugar, the instructions called for honey during bottling.

I'm not sure exactly how much. There was some confusion about how much.
I suppose it could have been added twice.

It tastes fine, that's what had me so confused.

Thanks for the help.

Are you sure the beer was done fermenting and hit its FG? If not, it's possible the remaining active yeast started fermenting out the honey, especially if the honey was added twice !?!

If it tastes fine just forget about for a while and leave it alone but place them In big sealed bi somewhere in case they decide to turn into bottle bombs and explode, that would suck!

Back