Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CidahMastah

Reaction score
ORDER CLOSED

OK here is the deal:

1. Need between 126 and 168 sacks to order (this order will likely not ship out until summer).
2. People will have to come and pick up their bags at the drop off location on a specific date and time after the order has been received (near Syracuse, NY). This will most likely be the first Saturday (10am-12pm) following arrival of shipment.
3. Payment will be done through certified check or money order via snail mail, and will be required up front before the order is placed. An estimate will be calculated once the order filled and any adjustments will be promptly credited back to each buyer via paypal or other arrangement. Buyers will have 1 week to submit payment after buy is closed.

We buy directly through NCM - this means that we will get true wholesale bulk pricing!
~$30 2Row + shipping (~$4-6)
~$40 Marris Otter + shipping (~$4-6)

To see the catalog, go to:http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/download.asp?f=f6
The password is "greatmalt".

Pricing (Use 4000#+ pricing)
Pricing on the great malt sheet is an estimate. Plan for about $4-6 per bag for shipping cost and (no tax) on your portion of the order. The prices should be pretty darn close but may vary slightly.

ORDER ENTRY

We utilize an order entry sheet which is accessible through HBT user jeffb418. Please click on this link and you can put in your order here. If you have questions please let Jeffb418 or Cidahmastah know.

When you add something to the sheet please do post what you have added. It stimulates the buy and also lets people know about splits you have added, etc.

The sheet keep track of a rough estimate for your dollar total for selected - see the estimate by your name.

NEW PAYMENT OPTIONS

For this buy we will be using two online payment services and will also allow mailed certified checks for payment. However, WE ARE NO LONGER USING PAYPAL, AMAZON, CHASE QUICK PAY FOR PAYMENTS UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTIFIED

Payment option 1 (snail mail payment):

1. Once the order pricing is confirmed you send a certified check or money order (personal checks are ok too).
2. Personal checks will delay the order placing by 3-5 days but are acceptable.

If you have any issues with the payment methods please PM me. If you do not make payment within 1 week from the time actual pricing is provided you forfeit your right to buy your grain and to participate in the Syracuse grain buys until further notice. Not trying to be a jerk, but seriously, if you can't make payment within 1 week then you better contact me directly or don't participate. It slows down the order and it is detrimental to the group participants.

DELIVERY: Will be made to a local business that has been gracious enough to let us use their loading dock. Details will be made available upon request (see post #2).

CidahMastah/twogunz/jeffb418 will keep us all updated on when the grain order is to arrive, when you should show up to get it, and all that jazz. You, as the buyer, are responsible for picking up your grain or for making arrangements for someone else to pick up and hold your grain for you. Please make your best effort to make the preplanned pickup date as described above.

FOR SPLIT SACKS: Splits are available on a limited basis and only in 1/2 bag amounts at this time (subject to change). Feel free to work out the details for splits between people outside of the organized buy.

HOPS:
Current Hopsplits are ongoing and need 11 lb packages to close a box. If 11 shares aren't filled up that particular hop will not be ordered.

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------------
ROUND 7 - ORDER CLOSED- 2/14/2012 (5/9/2012)

New Order has opened up (ROUND 7). I will award people their place in the order by the time frame that they contacted me. If we get to two pallets, we get a discount on shipping.

CURRENT STATUS:

1. (completed) Collected ~122 sacks of grain​
2. (completed)We collect the estimate deposit from all participants.​
3. (completed)We ask for a quote and hear back from the buyer on actual cost (completed) I pass out the actual cost to everyone and initiate the credits to each person as needed​
4. (completed) CidahMastah will let everyone know when the shipment is to arrive and where it is shipping to and when to pick it up.​
7. (completed)We all slap high five and say job well done.​

STATUS - CLOSED
Total Bags = 124 - CLOSED

------------------------------------------------------
PAYMENT STATUS

PAID
-----------
CidahMastah $416.00
brian4508 $176.00
gcdowd $135.00
jdowling $365.00
DannSchuler $325.00
Copyright1997 $688.00
TwoGunz $40.00
DBush20 $347.00
Smashing $95.00
BryanJ $277.00
bierhaus15 $495.00
a. Me: $85
b. Jim: $15
c. Randy: $150
d. Jeff: $245

bellinmi88 $339.00
JeffB418 $401.00
Drmark50 $456.00
wheadman66 $175.00
Racin_NY $189.00
MPARSONS327 $195.00
Cgondoli1 $204.00
Strecker25 $197.00
Rustbucket $92.00
CBK $235.00
t-booneyay $185.00
Westo2 $317.00
erikrocks $247.00
-----------

CHECK SENT NOTIFICATION
-----------
-----------

PENDING

-----------
-----------

PICKUP LOCATION (pick up on June 2nd, 10:15-NOON):
See your referenced email for the pickup location

------------------------------------------------------
The following are new links which you should use to find:

1. Order status (Click here)

2. Order Entry / Split entry (Click here)

For access PM JeffB418

DONATIONS: The people who work these grain buys do a lot of back end and front end work to make them go off without a hitch. If you would like to show your appreciation please feel free to leave a donation for them. The amount you dontate will apply towards the persons grain tab (no amount is too little as it all adds up and shows your appreciation in greenbacks).

3. Order Total Sheet (Manually Compounded): (Click Here)

---------------------------
HEADS UP ALL – NEW RULES:

In effort to keep everyone happy and ensure that twogunz's family business isn’t affected we are taking on some new rules to try for the next buy.

We will try these rules for this buy and see how they go moving forward. The goal is to make this process easy on the business, and give us good repeatability for a buy every 3-4 months. We can adjust as we learn how to improve the process.

RULES:

1) Order not to exceed 4 pallets.

2) 5 bag/item minimum per participant. (keep in mind you can team up with someone and buy under one name)

3) SELF COORDINATED SPLITS (people can coordinate as many splits as they like outside the buy). Those self coordinated splits cannot be handled onsite. Starsan is the exception with .25 splits available.

**Coordinators will provide estimates and actuals for buyer’s reference as they are available, per bag if needed. However one person in the split must take on the “whole bag” responsibility. This means one buyer will be responsible for (a) payment of the full bag (b) pick up/distribution of the full bag.​

As the close of the buy nears splits may be opened up on a limited basis to help close up the order. Typically the splits will be restricted per person (rules to be laid out at that time)

4) Users must provide JeffB418 with: (a) email address (b) Full contact information (Full name, phone address), to access/edit the buyer sheet (you will need to create a google docs account).

5) Once and order closes (a) an estimated payment will be posted for each buyer; (b) buyer to pay estimated payment (Via check, amazon, or chase quickpay), prior to order placement. Buyers will be credited the difference via paypal, amazon payment, chase quickpay (or other arrangement).

These terms were arrived at through discussions of the coordinators in the best interests of keeping the CNY Grain buy going with minimal impact to those involved. Thanks for understanding!!

HOP SPLITS

Available now. 11 1lb shares are available per hop type. If a given hop type does not get 11 shares it will not be ordered. See the buyer sheet to place your interest.

Special notes about this order:

1. This buy will not ship until summer time or so (and until we have 3-4 full pallets)
2. New payment methods are listed (we are no longer using paypal)
3. Order deliver TBD - but will be in Syracuse, NY area

Cidah, you need to update the first post to mention it is Round 7 and the proper start date. :)

Also, when are you going to order a few bags, like that Pilsen Malt? :)

I just wanted to be first to put in an order and have my name up closer to the front of the spread sheet, makes it easier then scrolling across to the 20the spot!!! Ha ha!!!

Started the sheet by adding the following SPLITS to Round Seven!!!!

BD-MOPA .50
BZ-HDBR .25
BZ-CRPL .25
BZ-LCRM .25
GW-C40 .25
GW-C60 .25

See what happens when I rush!

Ha, thanks for the heads up copyright and Waorgany.

Updated both the date on post 1 and the link for the new buy

8 bags already guys? Holy crap you guys are nuts!

Also might want to update the est order date on post 1. Right now it says spring. Prob shooting more for summer? 4-6 months from now?

8 bags already guys? Holy crap you guys are nuts!

Also might want to update the est order date on post 1. Right now it says spring. Prob shooting more for summer? 4-6 months from now?

Ha - will do. However if we get 168 bags by spring...

STATUS OF SNY GRAIN BUY #6

FYI - looks like the grain was supposed to be delivered today (twogunz is out of the office on travel so he will report back to us later). It will not be possible to count or divide the splits completely for at least a couple days. However that means that the grain will be ready for SAT pickup.

Twogunz will be posting more information on that in the coming days.

Hello everyone, I have been brewing for a little over to a year now and just recently registered with homebrewtalk.com. I live in the buffalo, ny area and am excited to get involved with this group buy. Can anyone recommend a good pilsner urquell clone recipe and a base grain to use?

Maybe Cidah can give you a specific recipe, but you definitely want to start with a high quality continental pilsner malt, Saaz hops and soft water. You can add a small amount of carapils or a light caramel to add color and additional body or richness in the finish. A decoction mash is traditional but not strictly necessary (you gotta decide for yourself). I personally used a bit of light Munich to try to add that maltiness. Pitch a ton of healthy yeast, aerate well, and watch the fermentation temperature!

Hello everyone, I have been brewing for a little over to a year now and just recently registered with homebrewtalk.com. I live in the buffalo, ny area and am excited to get involved with this group buy. Can anyone recommend a good pilsner urquell clone recipe and a base grain to use?

I just did a pilsner urquell clone about 7-8 weeks ago.

check this out in the mean time if you are looking at lager and decoction help.

I would go with a german pilsner (I like BZ-PILS) and stay german throughout the malt you select.

I did a single mash out decoction boiled for 22 minutes

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.45 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 37.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.6 SRM

11g batch

17 lbs 9.6 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
2 lbs 3.2 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1 lbs 1.6 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
1 lbs 1.6 oz Munich Malt (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
83.60 gm Cluster [6.50 %] (60 min) Hops 30.9 IBU
59.40 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
46.20 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Pilsner Lager (White Labs #WLP800) Yeast-Lager
1 Pkgs Urquell Lager (Wyeast Labs #2001) Yeast-Lager

big starter (I did 6qts about)

Mash was single infusion at 155Ffor about 35minutes, then pulled the decoction and boiled for 22mins to mash out.

pitched at 45F and fermented at 55F
did a d-rest at like 1.020 to terminal gravity at 65F.

Follow up from round 6 buy:

I will double post this on both threads

If your name is on this list you need to either:

1. Make Payment
2. Tell me how to handle your credit

If your price owed is in the read it means that you cannot pick up your grain yet. If you send me a personal check you cannot pick up grain until I see it clear in my bank account.

Let me know if you have any questions

Paid.jpg

Follow up from round 6 buy:

If your price owed is in the read it means that you cannot pick up your grain yet. If you send me a personal check you cannot pick up grain until I see it clear in my bank account.

[Setting the scene: The vultures, while still far away, can be seen circling high in the sky.]

So, if people don't pay, does that mean their grain is open to others to buy? :)
[Eying some Pilsner, Wheat, and Munich :) ]

[Setting the scene: The vultures, while still far away, can be seen circling high in the sky.]

So, if people don't pay, does that mean their grain is open to others to buy? :)
[Eying some Pilsner, Wheat, and Munich :) ]

haha - I was saying that some extra bz pilsner would be nice... :D

Cidah, you should be receiving my money order anytime. I know it's not much but the extra is yours.

mine is in the mail. via check.. just takes longer from down here to get to you...

Yeah I am not harping on people - just letting they know that this is my current list. Thanks everyone for taking a look

That's what I was looking at I didn't realize someone took 1/3. Could someone add me for the last third to close it out!

That's what I was looking at I didn't realize someone took 1/3. Could someone add me for the last third to close it out!

Looks like CBK beat you to it. So, I added *another* CM-WHET, took 50% and set you up for 50%. I took myself off the prior one, but if it doesn't eventually fill will take the remaining 1/3.

HEADS UP ALL – NEW RULES:

In effort to keep everyone happy and ensure that twogunz's family business isn’t affected we are taking on some new rules to try for the next buy. Please read below and see post #2 for the new links to the sheets.

We will try these rules for this buy and see how they go moving forward. The goal is to make this process easy on the business, and give us good repeatability for a buy every 3-4 months. We can adjust as we learn how to improve the process.

RULES:

1) Order not to exceed 4 pallets.

2) 5 bag/item minimum per participant. (keep in mind you can team up with someone and buy under one name)

3) SELF COORDINATED SPLITS (people can coordinate splits outside the buy). Splits cannot be handled onsite. Starsan is the exception with .25 splits available.

**Coordinators will provide estimates and actuals for buyer’s reference as they are available, per bag if needed. However one person in the split must take on the “whole bag” responsibility. This means one buyer will be responsible for (a) payment of the full bag (b) pick up/distribution of the full bag.​

Since these are new changes being implemented, all split participants have the right to drop out of the current splits. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience.​

4) Users must provide JeffB418 with: (a) email address (b) Full contact information (Full name, phone address), to access/edit the buyer sheet (you will need to create a google docs account).

5) Once and order closes (a) an estimated payment will be posted for each buyer; (b) buyer to pay estimated payment (Via check, amazon, or chase quickpay), prior to order placement. Buyers will be credited the difference via paypal, amazon payment, chase quickpay (or other arrangement).

These terms were arrived at through discussions of the coordinators in the best interests of keeping the CNY Grain buy going with minimal impact to those involved. Thanks for understanding!!

THE SHEET IS NOW RESTRICTED ACCESS ONLY. IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BUY READ BELOW.

Please PM with the following information for access to the sheet:

Full Name
Phone Number
Email address

This is just to keep access to the sheet limited to those who are participating in the buy and to make it easier to contact everyone involved in the buy. The information will be stored and supplied only to myself and Cidah. We will protect your information.

Once I add you to the access list, you will receive an email granting you access.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Jeff B

Also all splits were removed from the buy sheet since we wont be doing splits on this order. I'll make up a new sheet later today that will allow you guys to coordinate "on your own" splits.

Since the split went away, I went for a full sack of CM-WHET. Sack count is now 9. I might fill in a few more to get to the 5 minimum value and change what I want as we get closer. (Right now I don't need any grain! :) )

Since the split went away, I went for a full sack of CM-WHET. Sack count is now 9. I might fill in a few more to get to the 5 minimum value and change what I want as we get closer. (Right now I don't need any grain! :) )

No need to tally up five bags right away :D

Woot! I just ordered a super fast thermapen! Since spending $100 on a thermometer sounds crazy to me, I justified it by applying some cash back points from my credit card! :rockin:

Copyright: I tried your nut brown the other night. It was quite tasty, thank you! What yeast did you use in that? I taste a faint similarity to the last Scotch Ale I made and I'm wondering if it's the yeast.

Woot! I just ordered a super fast thermapen! Since spending $100 on a thermometer sounds crazy to me, I justified it by applying some cash back points from my credit card! :rockin:

Copyright: I tried your nut brown the other night. It was quite tasty, thank you! What yeast did you use in that? I taste a faint similarity to the last Scotch Ale I made and I'm wondering if it's the yeast.

Thanks! It's S-04, which I use pretty much all the time on English style brews. Rest of recipe is (as brewed): (5 gallon batch)
8 # 2ROW
2 # MO
6 oz Crystal 60
4 oz Chocolate Malt
Hops:
1 oz Willamette @ 60 (original recipe called for EKG, which I was out of at the time)
.5 oz Fuggles @ 15
Mash @ 152
[I brewed it on 11/19/2011.]

Brewed up the SN Celebration Ale today, man it smelled amazing while boiling. Used TF optic as the base malt, so interested to see how that turns out.

Back