Bottling questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arringtonbp

Reaction score
I have a batch of irish red ale that has been in primary for 4 weeks. It has been in a bucket fermenter. The worker of my LHBS was incredulous that I had done it this way, but I told him that it was a tried and true method. My plan is to add 5 oz priming sugar (dextrose) by boiling it in 1-2 cups of water and racking on top of it after it cools. I will wait about 2 weeks and put a bottle into the fridge to test it. I'll probably test one every 3-4 days after that.

Also, it is pretty cloudy at the moment. I used whirlfloc, but I did not whirlpool the wort. I aerated it by shaking the fermenter around a little bit.

How can I ensure that enough yeast gets into the bottles to carbonate them?
Is it still possible for the beer to clear up?

Or more basically, how do I get from this point in the process to a well-carbonated, clear beer?

Unless your beer's been sitting for a year...or over six months, there is plenty of yeast to do the job...you don't need to worry about that. I've done 6 months in primary and they've carbed fine......

Unless your beer's been sitting for a year...or over six months, there is plenty of yeast to do the job...you don't need to worry about that. I've done 6 months in primary and they've carbed fine......

That's what I told em! They looked at me like I was crazy. I'm tempted to bring them one if it works out nicely.

Revvy you mean 6 months and bottle without stirring or disturbing and there is still enough yeast floating around to carbonate yeah? Who'd have thought!

Back