Growing in southern california

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven85

Reaction score
I just picked up and planted a few Tett, Hall, and Chinook rhizomes yesterday, and I'm trying to find out how often I should water them. After some internet research, I've read anywhere from watering them daily to watering them once a week. I think I need to water them more than usual because summer gets pretty hot here (95+). They will be in the shade in the afternoons, so hopefully it will be fine. Does anyone have any experience growing hops in southern California, or similar climates? How often and how much water is enough? Thanks in advance!

I'm in Riverside and planted Cascade, Centennial and Columbus about 3 weeks ago. They started popping up about a week ago. i am watering every other day right now. but summer may require twice a day when it gets hot. a drip system might work good for deep watering.

I am in North County San Diego and use a drip system. I have it set on an irrigation timer for 1 hour per day and I use 1 gal/hr drip heads. So every day they get 1 gal of water. This worked well last year (the first for my hops) and I only gave them a little more water in the afternoon one days that it was really hot. I also check soil moisture very unscientifically, stick my finger in the mound:cross:. If dry then I would give the extra water in the afternoon.

One thing to consider is mold/fungus. My timer is set to run in the morning to minimize wet soil at night. Which mold/fungus love wet-dark-warm enviroments. Just think of a lawn. If you water at night you get a mushroom field. So this in mind try to limit late day watering.

Good luck! :mug:

Back