Indian Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to brewing and this will be third batch, but the first time that I've done any real "experimenting". I'm hoping some of you can offer me a little advice. I'd like to brew something resembling Dogfish Heads Indian Brown Ale. Basically what I've put together is the recipe for a brown ale that I like and thrown in the hop schedule of the 60 min IPA. Take a look below and please feel free to let me know if I am way off base here. Thanks!

6 lbs. Pale Liquid Extract
.25 lbs. Caramel/Crystal Malt – 10L (10SRM)
.25 lbs. Caramel/Crystal Malt – 60L (60 SRM)
.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt
.25 lbs. Special Roast (50 SRM)
¾ oz. Warrior – 60 to 35 min. continuous
1/3 oz. Simcoe – 35 to 25 min. continuous
¾ oz Palisade 25 to 0 min. continuous
½ oz. Amarillo – dry hop
½ oz. Simcoe – dry hop
½ oz. Glacier – dry hop
Wyeast 1187

I would up the chocolate malt, and I would up the lovibond of the crystal, why not use 120L? From what I remember, indian brown ale has a rich and malty backbone (and a powerful hop profile). They also claim to use caramelized brown sugar in their recipe...which you might try if you want to be more "authentic" to the original.

Try something like this:

1lb 80L Caramel
.5lb Belgian Special B
.5lb Chocolate malt
.5lb Belgian CaraPils
&
7lb Amber DME

Your going to want some extra grains/extract to keep up with that insane hop schedule.

Take a look at the Indian Summer in my recipe pulldown. It's, pretty much, a Texas Brown. That's about the same thing. You probably want to substitute some other hop for the Perle in the dry hopping, though. Just about any bittering hop will do, too.

TL

Heres my recipie. Came out fantastic, though perhaps not as hoppy as you would like. Takes a good long time to condition. Perhaps a place to start.

6 lbs amber LME
6 lbs pale LME
(1/2 of each at 60 min and at 15 minutes)
1 lb Crystal 57L
.5 lb Domestic CaraPils
2 oz black patent
2 oz chocolate
(all steeped together at 160 for 30 minutes in 2 gal, sparged with 1 gal)

1 oz Warrior pellets @ 60
1 oz willamette pellets @ 20
1.5 oz willamette pellets @ 5

.5 oz willamette pellets @ dryhop when I racked it off the primary.

Pitched at 78 degrees on to a Nottingham cake from an IPA. If you dont have a slurry or a cake, I would double pitch or make a starter. S-05 would be a good substitute if you are leary about notty.

OG - 1.084 @ 78 degrees FG - 1.019

Back