Saflager S-23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmidc

Reaction score
I'm brewing an American Pilsner kit that came with S-23 and recommends using it at 60-72 for a clean taste. Anyone have experience with this yeast. I was thinking 10-14 days in the primary at around 65, then going to a two week secondary at 55, then lagering another month or so at 40 in the keg. Do you guys think this is the best way to go about fermenting with this yeast?

I've used S-23 before. It handles cooler fermentation just fine. When I ferment, I start it at 65 or so. As soon as I see any sign of fermentation, I drop it down to 55 for about 3 weeks. Once it is only sporadically bubbling, I raise the temp back to 65 for a diacetyl rest for 4 days or so (though many folks don't report much diacetyl with S-23 -- I'm just superstitious). Then I rack it either to secondary or a keg and do the secondary in the keg at 40 before carbing it up.

Good luck with it. I have had nothing but bad luck with that yeast. IMHO it is much too fruity(not in a good way) for a lager, esp. a Pilsner.
I would either look for a liquid yeast or 34/70 dry or s-189 dry although for the pils I would use liquid

Edit
For an American Pils you could use s-05 at the lowest end of temp, say 58-60 and be close

Good luck with it. I have had nothing but bad luck with that yeast. IMHO it is much too fruity(not in a good way) for a lager, esp. a Pilsner.
+1
I would either look for a liquid yeast or 34/70 dry or s-189 dry although for the pils I would use liquid
I used the 34/70 dry once and wasn't impressed when I did it head to head with WY2124. At some point I want to try s-189 though, but I just can justify the cost of shipping for a couple packs of dry yeast

I use s-23 and it comes out nice and clean - not fruity at all. I pitch in the 50s and ferment in the 40s and it works great.

+1 on the colder ferment. Here's the thing. If you want clean, chill to 45-48F but one pack of yeast really isn't enough. If you have a LHBS, pick up a second pack. Rehydrate the yeast, slowly chill that solution down to 50F and then pitch. Following that process has resulted in a non-fruity lager with no diacetyl problems.

The reason this yeast is reported to suck so often is that people either underpitch or they pitch warm to compensate for underpitching. Neither is good.

+1 on the colder ferment. Here's the thing. If you want clean, chill to 45-48F but one pack of yeast really isn't enough. If you have a LHBS, pick up a second pack. Rehydrate the yeast, slowly chill that solution down to 50F and then pitch. Following that process has resulted in a non-fruity lager with no diacetyl problems.

The reason this yeast is reported to suck so often is that people either underpitch or they pitch warm to compensate for underpitching. Neither is good.

I've pitched at 45, 50, 55 and 60 and all were the same(then I quit using it). Maybe it's my water but it's not my temps or pitch amounts( always 2 packs)

IMHO it is a yeast that has a specific flavor profile of autolysis. I would only use it for ultra-low gravity beers and low protein worts.

Latest posts

Back