Adjuncts In The Crockpot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
As I was taking some bean soup out of the crockpot, it dawned on me! A crockpot might be just the easiest way to prepare the extra crystal malt and hops to add to a no-boil (or a full-boil, for that matter) batch.

The heat on low setting is not high enough to create a boil, and it would certainly be constant. Any ideas on this? Is it possible to leave ingredients in the pot too long?

My oven has a good thermostat and temp setting control, so I just use that. I heat the water on the burner until it hits steeping temp +5*F, drop in the grains, and sock it in the oven for an hour, or whatever the time needs to be. achieves the same thing that you are speaking about, I think.

Jim Karr said:
The heat on low setting is not high enough to create a boil, and it would certainly be constant. Any ideas on this?

It might not boil water, but it might be too hot for steeping grains in. You want to keep the grains below 180 degrees (150 to 160 is best).

I'd take some temp readings in the crockpot before doing it, but if the temp is OK, then this should work just fine.

As for hops.... if you just want some flavor and aroma (and not bitterness) this might work. You really need to boil them to get the most out of them bitterness-wise.

-walker

You might be onto something here! But Walker has some good advice.

A lot depends on the crockpot, too. Many of them just cycle on and off, so you get a high, then a low, then a high, etc. If you have a probe thermometer, you could pour water in the crock, cover, then watch the thermometer's readout to see if it gets too hot if/how much the temp fluctuates.

Latest posts

Back