Strawberry/Raspberry/Blackberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanmyth

Reaction score
This is my first fruit wine, hell, my first wine recipe. I use to make a lot of fruit smoothies, so I had a few packets of frozen berries in the freezer.

12 oz blackberries
18 oz raspberries
24 oz strawberries

5 pints boiled water
1 tsp bread yeast, also boiled
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
4 cups table sugar

1 packet Lavlin EC-1118

I followed the procedure from a Jack Keller fruit wine recipe. Muddle berries and sugar after water has been added, punch cap down every 12 hours or so. I tried to take an OG, but the fruit pieces clogged the hydrometer pretty good.

Does anybody know the protocol on racking when making fruit wines? Do I wait until the fruit has lost its color? I don't have them in a nylon sack or anything.

I usally wait a week. After that the berrys can go south on you. After the initinal fermitation wait 2-3 weeks and transfer. Keep transferring every month if you do this 4-5 times it will be crystal clear. I personally hate adding chemicals to my fresh fruit wine so I don't even kill the yeast(don't say it it's guys no bottle bombs). After transfer I also add 1/4 cup of table sugar to keep yeast happy and help with the o2 that gets in it from trasfering. My father always told me if you add sugar to the wine it helps to get the yeast to eat the o2. I've never questioned him. And hardly spent money on campton tablets

Wouldn't continually adding fermentables hinder the clearing process? Or would the table sugar completely ferment out, leaving no residue?

Well It will get clearer and clearer. Table sugar will ferment it all the way. The plus side is that it will be stronger..

P.s. add a little at a time t will fizz up and overflow the carboy

Bread yeast probably won't ferment everything. If I recall, it can go anywhere from 5 to 15% and is not predictable.

Thats why we use wine yeasts that are made for this game. No "bread" flavors and almost guaranteed results, for a buck a pack.

DoctorCAD if you look the bread yeast is boiled and used as yeast nutrient. He is using lavlin EC-1118 yeast Which is perfect for berry wine

Back