Boiling hops w/ priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I have 2 oz of hops I planned to dry hop in my 5 gallon amber IIPA.

I still plan to dry hop at least 1 oz, but I pondered boiling the other oz (for 10 minutes or so) in my priming solution right before bottling.

Both oz are Glacier. I love the flavor, aroma, and bittering of glacier for this recipe.

I plan to strain.

Any thoughts?

i dont think there is any point. anything you get from dry hopping will outstrip anything you get from the priming solution. and think about it 2 cups of slightly bitter sweet hop tea mixed with i'm assuming 5+ gallons of beer.

You will loose the more volatile essential oils by boiling, which will defeat the point of dry hopping. I don't see any reason not to try it though. You just won't get a lot of aroma.

You will loose the more volatile essential oils by boiling, which will defeat the point of dry hopping. I don't see any reason not to try it though. You just won't get a lot of aroma.

it wont defeat the dry hopping. not like he's boiling the entire batch of beer. i just don't think it will do anything worth while.

My experience with boiling hops in water is that you get a harsh vegetla mess that I wouldn't want near my beer. YMMV.

it wont defeat the dry hopping. not like he's boiling the entire batch of beer. i just don't think it will do anything worth while.

Ah, I thought he was going to do this in place of dry hopping. Now I see he still is going to dry hop with 1 oz.

Indeed.

I thought the 10 minute boil without vigorous fermentation afterwards (and even the little carbing ferment would be contained in the bottle) would leave more flavor and aroma than the last 10 minutes of the full boil.

PLUS I am still dry hopping 1 oz.

This is an interesting idea for next time:

Dry hop with the 2oz in a nylon bag, pull the hops out before bottling and boil them for up to 10-20 minutes or so in the water for the priming sugar. You will need to add extra water to account for boil off. This should extract many of the oils from the hops despite their prior use for the dry hopping.

I believe techniques like this were quite common over the last couple of years with the hops shortage.

-Scott

Bump...

I'm thinking of doing something similar with my IPA. I want to boil about a third of my hops for about ten minutes then put the "tea" in the secondary, dry hopping with a weighted bag with the last 2/3rds. Similar yet different?

I did it.

Batch ended up being band aid beer:( Sanitizer not rinsed. Last time I used anything but No rinse....

I kinda forgot it, thanks for the bump!

The boiling of the dryhops is an epic idea!

I now keg too.

Gave you guys ever boiled hops in water and tasted the result? One try was all it took me to decide I didn't want that stuff in my beer.

People make hop tea additions all the time, AND people flavor their priming solution with spices like ginger on occassion....I don't see how this really is any different. And where all the "it won't work" is coming from.

I wouldn't boil the hops though. I would boil the priming solution as normal, then do a flameout addition of the hops. let it cool, strain through a sanitized strainer right into the bottling bucket.

Revvy, I know people make hop teas all the time. People do all kinds of crazy things all the time! Having tried it, personally I don't like it. I've done boiling, steeping, adjusting pH, not adjusting pH....still tastes like crap to me.

Hop tea is a standing beverage on it's own.

My understanding is that for proper beer hop flavor, the liquid needs some gravity beyond water. Sugar would provide that, or if that isn't ok, use DME to prime .

Gave you guys ever boiled hops in water and tasted the result? One try was all it took me to decide I didn't want that stuff in my beer.

Did you add it to a beer? Or just tasted the hop tea and decided to toss it?

I added a bit to a glass. I could still detect the intense chlorophyll taste and tannic mouthfeel so I didn't add it to the batch.

Back