sterilization protocol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
I want to try my first attempt at brewing tomorrow. I think I have pretty good handle on the boiling, yeast pitching, etc. However, I'm not really sure on the sterilization of the boil pot, primary fermenter, stirring spoon, etc. So would anybody be so kind as to tell me how to sanitize my equipment using the starsan I picked up today?
Thanks!

Well, the first thing to know is that you want to be sanitary. So, you'll be sanitizing your equipment. Not sterilizing. Sterilizing is for killing way more microbes (like for surgical equipment via an autoclave) than we have to worry about. Star-san is a great sanitizer.

We have to sanitize anything that touches our wort post-boil. So, NOT your brew kettle, spoon (until after the boil, if you're using it), grain bag, etc.

What I do is use the convenient measurements on the star-san bottle, and mix up about 2.5 gallons of sanitizer right in the primary. Anything you're using after the boil (hydrometer, strainer, spoon, wine theif, airlock, etc) can go in there. Before I put the equipment in, I put the lid on the fermenter and shake it up well, and the foam covers all the surfaces pretty well, so you can see it. Then, put my stuff in the sanitizer. If I'm using a siphon, I pump sanitizer through it and coat the outside of it well also. After everything is sanitized (I leave it sit from a minute to the entire time, depending on what I need, like maybe the thermometer to check the wort temperature), I pour some of that sanitizer into a spray bottle and spray my clean kitchen counter. I put a clean paper towel down, and stick most of my stuff on there, ready to use. The rest of the sanitizer goes into a one gallon milk jug for next time. Be careful with your hydrometer- it's slippery and round, and easily will fall right off the counter. I sanitize the hydrometer jar, and put the hydrometer into it while waiting for my wort to cool.

I'm sure there are some things I'm forgetting, but that's pretty much what I do during brew day.

Oops, sorry about the mix up on the words. I'll check that link out. I did just realize that I don't have a thermometer to check when the wort gets cool enough to pitch the yeast. Might need to pick one up tomorrow.

My lhbs sells a corded instant read thermometer that has a probe that can be submerged into liquid. This is very important, because the Pyrex one that my wife had before I started brewing was not supposed to be submerged. It now reads room temp. as 120 degrees f.

Oops, sorry about the mix up on the words. I'll check that link out. I did just realize that I don't have a thermometer to check when the wort gets cool enough to pitch the yeast. Might need to pick one up tomorrow.

Those cheap ($6?) floating thermometers work great. You can sanitize it and put it in the wort, and just lift it by the top to check the temperature. You can also use it for measuring your water temperature for your steeping grains- and then remove it when you remove your grains.

Back