Help bottle bomb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaaybeer

Reaction score
Hi all anyone know any options for me got a bottle bomb yesterday. Any suggestions

What to do now? Open some other bottles and see if the carbonation level is high. If yes, then open all the bottles and release some pressure and recap. Or put the bottles in a close, water proof container and see if any more blow.

This could be the result of many causes - incomplete fermentation (bottling too early), over priming, or infection come to mind.

Ok so have a beer fermenting for 2 weeks and I used one teaspoon of demerera sugar to prime and last night, kitchen as hotter than normal and one blew. The bottom looks like it just fell out of the bottle. Am not sure if it was a weak bottle or a overcarbed. I moved them outside to the cold 6 or 7c and nothing else seems to have happened

Pappers_ said:
What to do now? Open some other bottles and see if the carbonation level is high. If yes, then open all the bottles and release some pressure and recap. Or put the bottles in a close, water proof container and see if any more blow.

This could be the result of many causes - incomplete fermentation (bottling too early), over priming, or infection come to mind.

Thanks Pappers. I just opened and recapped the bottles. There was quite a pop from the swingtop as I opened them. They are out in the cold right now any suggestions as what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

yaybeer - I have a bunch of swing top bottles so I am interested to know if it was a swing top that broke?

jethro55 said:
yaybeer - I have a bunch of swing top bottles so I am interested to know if it was a swing top that broke?

It was a swing top the bottom came clean off it

image-3097731721.jpg

Pappers_ said:
1teaspoon per bottle?

Yah I reread the instructions and it said level teaspoon. I'm pretty sure I used the biggest teaspoon I had and heaped it. Ah well I'll learn some day

The bottles are now gassed and in a cooler place in the house. So fingers crossed. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it, makes all the difference having a good answer. Cheers

That's a good point I go straight from primary into bottles I don't want to stir up sediment or yeast and I dong have a secondary container. It's only my second brew so I'm finding my feet.

Do you not have a bottling bucket with a spigot, if not get one. Once you rack from the primary to that bucket you'll then stir in the priming sugar.

I know my LHBS has buckets for under $20

Yah I reread the instructions and it said level teaspoon. I'm pretty sure I used the biggest teaspoon I had and heaped it. Ah well I'll learn some day

I think they mean level 'teaspoon' as in not heaping on the kitchen measurement device, not 'teaspoon' grab a spoon and fill it up level.

Properly measured 1 tsp per swing top does not seem like too much. 48 tsp = 1 cup, so that's only slighly over-carbed in a 12 oz bottle. We're talking 22 oz bottle here.

Are you sure fermentation was done when you bottled?

Pretty sure fermentation was finished. 17oz bottles for a heaped teaspoon. Far too much lol. So should I release the gas every once in a while do u think

RIC0 said:
Do you not have a bottling bucket with a spigot, if not get one. Once you rack from the primary to that bucket you'll then stir in the priming sugar.

I know my LHBS has buckets for under $20

I shall invest seems like more sterilising and cleaning. I was previously using carb drops

Pretty sure fermentation was finished. 17oz bottles for a heaped teaspoon. Far too much lol. So should I release the gas every once in a while do u think

Personally, I'd transfer one of your swing tops into a clean, sterilized PET bottle. Squeeze gently, then seal the cap. That way you can see it blow up and squeeze it and feel if it's getting too carbed again. You'll have to keep it out of the light, or you'll get a skunky beer though.

Are you sure you grabbed a "teaspoon" out of the drawer? Most people don't even own teaspoons. It would be toddler-sized. Most people own "tablespoons" and "soup spoons".

I shall invest seems like more sterilising and cleaning. I was previously using carb drops

Nothing wrong with carb drops except price, and some people say the Munton's brand leave an off-taste.

Just for future reference, 3 teaspoons (tsp) equals 1 tablespoon (TBSP) 1 heaping tablespoon is probably closer to 3.5 to 4 teaspoons. Your biggest tsp was probably a TBSP. There are only 16 TBSP in a cup to give you perspective. Good luck with your beer :)

Thanks for all your great help I have bottled half of the brew in pet bottles some with carb drops. Lots of room for squeeze in those and the other pet bottles hard as nails with the Demerara sugar. Swing tops in a dark spot not as warm will leave for a couple more weeks than recommended.
Really appreciate all the advice thanks again.
Oh and it's def a teaspoon lol. We drink lots of tea here : ). Ill blame the wife she put the sugar in for me !

Brewtah is probably right. When u said "biggest teaspoon I could find" alarms went off in my head. Id bet it was a tablespoon that you used and if was heaping then you've got about 4 teaspoons worth. Swing top bottles are supposed to handle up to 10 volumes of co2 and you would get close to that with 4 times the sugar. Add in a hot kitchen and that will break the bottle. Get a set of measuring spoons if you're going to add sugar to each bottle. You'll want them for other brewing ingredients anyway, like Irish moss, gelatin, sanitizers, etc.

It's the one on the left : ). I know now its too big. Def a lesson learned.

image-3673660156.jpg

@yaaybeer: I think the point you may be missing is that you should probably invest in proper materials. A set of measuing spoons isn't much, neither is a bottling bucket. A bottle bomb that goes off in your hand and lands you in the emergency room, however...

Latest posts

Back