6 row or 2 row base malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinwollmann

Reaction score
I was just wondering,what are some differences between the two.I have used both in my brews, and prefer 2 row.Just wondering before I make my next purchase.What are the biggest differences?I don't get too fancy,I mainly just brew 5ga. batches of IPA.CHEERS....

Based on what I have read.
2row is used primarily for brewing and is used by nearly all European brewers. 6row has more enzymes and husks and so can be used with a larger number of adjuncts such as rice and corn used in making BMC. 6row is said to have a grainier/rougher taste.

So unless you are making a high adjunct beer such as a stout with lots of oats are flaked barley or a light lager with lost of corn it is usually recommended to use 2row.

Craig

don't know really but I buy most of my base malts from a buddy who is a brewer by trade and all they use is 2 row. They make english and irish style ales btw.

American 6 Row that is malted traditionally has higher enzyme levels. American six-row pale barley malts, have a diastatic power of up to 160 degrees Lintner, so starch to sugar conversion is greater.

Hope this helps.
Jeff
Frisco Brewing CompanyÒ

Back