Brewing with Earl Grey Tea or other Black Teas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abdul_Hassan

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently read a recipe for an Earl Grey IPA. It was on a thread, but about two years back. I wanted to revisit the topic.

Has anyone had any experience brewing with teas? or Earl Grey specifically. I think the bergamot orange flavors would work nicely. I'm not certain. Mainly curious.

Not sure what would be a good match. I have read conflicting statements. Some said that a really hoppy IPA worked nicely. Others have stated the a more balanced Red or Brown ale would work as well.

Looking for advise.

Thanks.

Abdul Hassan

I've found it depends on where you get your earl grey from. It's my favorite tea in the morning. the grocery store version is pretty tame,& not all that good,imho. But the version in the elephant tin at World Market is vastly superior hands down. Better flavor & over-all defenition. Period.

I think an APA or American IPA with citrusy American hops would be fantastic with a little Earl Grey in it. The citrus of the hops would complement the bergamot really well. I imagine a wit would also be quite nice. The bergamot would balance the orange peel and spices. But you'd have to have a very light touch or else the tea will overpower a light beer like a wit.

I personally have never brewed with tea - which is amazing, actually, because I drink tea every day. I have used herbal tea (chamomile) in a wit before per Jamil Zainasheff's recipe, but it was just a few grams in the boil for character. Not very noticeable.

If I set out to make a real tea-flavored beer, I'd make brewed tea and add it to the secondary or keg/bottling bucket, like I would with dry hops or "dry spices". Tea gets very tannic when boiled.

Another thing to keep in mind: bergamot is an oil, so using it may impact your head retention.

Latest posts

Back