Bottling a sparkling mead off a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bojacked

Reaction score
I've got a mead I've had kegged a while and it's ready to bottle now. I like it sparkling but I've only been saving wine bottles, do you think this will present a problem? I didn't prime it and it's under about 10 psi now. I was going to purge excess co2 then bottle with a slow flow. Has anyone had any experience with this? I can imagine corks backing out a bit but I haven't ever tried this before. To make it more interesting I was going to wax dip the bottle tips for presentation but I imagine this might also be problematic. Any advice would be appreciated!

bojacked said:
I've got a mead I've had kegged a while and it's ready to bottle now. I like it sparkling but I've only been saving wine bottles, do you think this will present a problem? I didn't prime it and it's under about 10 psi now. I was going to purge excess co2 then bottle with a slow flow. Has anyone had any experience with this? I can imagine corks backing out a bit but I haven't ever tried this before. To make it more interesting I was going to wax dip the bottle tips for presentation but I imagine this might also be problematic. Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm interested in this as well as I have a raspberry mead I wanted to do at champagne volumes. I think you'd have to use cork and cage Belgium style.

For this one I would be happy with it mildly sparkling, but all I've read recommends against any carbonation in wine bottles :(. I damn sure don't feel like cleaning anymore bottles and the champagne bottles aren't cheap IIRC.

I wouldn't use wine bottles for a sparkling mead. Champagne, ok. Wine? Not a chance. It sounds especially like you are planning to give some of these to people. I'd rather not give someone a potential bottle bomb, personally.

On the other hand, beer or soda bottles ought to be fine as well as champagne.

weirdboy said:
I wouldn't use wine bottles for a sparkling mead. Champagne, ok. Wine? Not a chance. It sounds especially like you are planning to give some of these to people. I'd rather not give someone a potential bottle bomb, personally.

On the other hand, beer or soda bottles ought to be fine as well as champagne.

Good call, I hadn't thought of it that way but definitely better safe than sorry! Might be better to just bottle them in beer bottles and just have more to share/ cellar. Thanks.

bojacked said:
Good call, I hadn't thought of it that way but definitely better safe than sorry! Might be better to just bottle them in beer bottles and just have more to share/ cellar. Thanks.

You could also use Belgium style bottles either 750ml or the smaller 375ml "Vinnie" bottles with a cork and cage. That's probably what I'll end up doing.

Back