Questions on bucket primary/secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy360

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just posted up in the Introductions thread so you can find out a little more about me there.

Anywho, I'm a complete newb with homebrewing. I received a kit for my birthday from my gf and I can't wait to get a batch going. FYI, the kit came with a primary fermentation bucket and lid, bottling bucket, bottle capper and filler, thermometer, auto-siphon, hydrometer, cleanser, bottle brush, and manual. I also got "The Joy of Homebrewing".

I'm headed up to the homebrew store today to pick up my first ingredients for a batch o' beer. Hopefully something hoppy and delicious.

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of days now and I see that the 1-2-3 method is preferable for brewing. Since I don't have a second fermenter can I still do this? If not, what should the process?

The book recommends 3 days primary, then switch to the airlock and allow 7 days, then bottle, but from what I've read here it's not enough time.

Should I pick up another carboy today?

Thanks for the answers...I did try searching but couldn't find what I was looking for.

If you can afford it definitely pick up another carboy. Better bottles are also fine. They're plastic carboys. You'll only need a 5 gallon one for secondary and don't forget the bung and airlock.

What happened to me was that i got my kit and started adding carboys, etc...
Now it's an obsession that I'm trying to control. :)

Pick up another carboy / bucket. It makes a big difference.

Also, don't expect your first batch to be great. You'll be too excited to leave it alone and you'll end up screwing it up. Also, I'll put $2 down that you'll freak when you push the grommet through. Don't.

So, don't really share your first batch with your friends or else they'll think homebrew is nasty. Wait until you get a few under your belt.

Read, read, read. Just keep reading until you find yourself answering other people's questions. Don't just read techniques, read reviews of micro brews. You'll pick up a lot from seeing how big breweries do it.

Finally, don't brew something you don't know about. Spend the $10 on a 6er on a style that's new to you and then decide whether or not you could go through 2 cases in a few weeks.

Cheesefood said:
Pick up another carboy / bucket. It makes a big difference.

I think that statement depends on a number of factors and you will not get much of a consensus on the topic. There have been 10+ page threads on other forums when the topic is debated. Personally, I use a secondary/bright tank with everything cept wheats.

anyhows...to the OP, for your first batch of beer I wouldn't be too worried about needing a secondary. It's going to be a learning experience as is so enjoy and brew some beer!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

How does the brewing process change without a second fermenter, in relation to the 1-2-3 method?

I just read the first section of "How to Brew" and he recommends two weeks in the primary bucket and then two weeks in bottles. Is that about right?

Poppy360 said:

How does the brewing process change without a second fermenter, in relation to the 1-2-3 method?

I just read the first section of "How to Brew" and he recommends two weeks in the primary bucket and then two weeks in bottles. Is that about right?

yup

..but you will find that 3 weeks + in the bottle will result in more developed flavors for many beers. Course in the interest of awareness I start sampling at the two week mark to gauge the progress :)

Poppy360 said:

You could leave it in the primary for 10-14 days then bottle, but any longer than that and you run the risk of some off flavors. I'd also recommend that you go ahead and spend the $25-$30 on a glass/plastic carboy I personally think that the beer benefits greatly from clearing for 2-3 weeks.

I rushed my first brew (which I think most everyone does) and while it was certainly very drinkable, all of my brews since then just keep getting better in quality.

Patience is one of the keys to good beer.

ohiobrewtus said:
You could leave it in the primary for 10-14 days then bottle, but any longer than that and you run the risk of some off flavors.

Fwiw, Palmer recommends up to 3 weeks in the primary for single stage brews

Hmmm, all this advice about waiting sounds great. But I started my first brew on Saturday and I'm already antsy about getting it out as soon as possible. I'll probably be botteling it this Saturday and start testing a week after that. I just want my first brew to be as quick as possible so I can prove to myself that this works. :)

After that I will start the wonderful road towards perfection. Oh, I love this already! :D

My first beer was awesome, FWIW. But my second sucked. Anyway, I really would make sure to leave it for two weeks in the fermenter, so the yeast can clean up after itself. Trust me, it makes a big difference. And don't worry about it 'working'--it'll definitely work if you follow the directions.

ohiobrewtus said:
You could leave it in the primary for 10-14 days then bottle, but any longer than that and you run the risk of some off flavors.

You can leave it for up to a month in the primary at least with no problem.

That being said, grab a 5 gallon secondary. You'll probably want to start another batch before the first one is ready to leave the bucket.

Cheesefood said:
Also, I'll put $2 down that you'll freak when you push the grommet through. Don't.

err...newb here doesnt known exactly what that means, but im always trying to avoid freaking out if you dont mind clarifying, thanks!

NateKerx said:
err...newb here doesnt known exactly what that means, but im always trying to avoid freaking out if you dont mind clarifying, thanks!

The grommet is the little black ring in the hole in the bucket lid that keeps the seal around the airlock tight. I don't think there is a single one of us who hasn't had that little sucker get pushed into our beer when putting the airlock on - nothing to freak about (well, there really isn't anything to freak about in beer making, but we all do it).

Yeah I pushed the grommit through on my VERY FIRST batch. I had a nervous few minutes and then proceeded to get another one and too a deep breath. We're going to call it Grommit IPA

TheJadedDog said:
The grommet is the little black ring in the hole in the bucket lid that keeps the seal around the airlock tight. I don't think there is a single one of us who hasn't had that little sucker get pushed into our beer when putting the airlock on - nothing to freak about (well, there really isn't anything to freak about in beer making, but we all do it).
I haven't. Are you lubing the parts first before assembly?

"Everything's better when wet"...Jungle Love, Steve MIller...:D

ohhh ok i gotcha. I've only used a carboy for a fermentor, thus no grommet.

in a kind of related question, I tried to use a #7 bung on my 6.5 gallon carboy (i think thats the right size) but it wouldnt stay in and just fell on the ground a bunch. I stuck a hood on there but im assuming i made some dumb mistake.

TheJadedDog said:

Curious here...do most brewers keep extra grommets around for just such an occasion?

I think most people who have pushed them in have bought another for insurance. Of course, once you buy another, you never push in the grommet again.

I always put the airlock on the lid, then the lid on the bucket. No more grommet dropping for me! (Everybody else has already heard this, but as I do that, I mutter to myself, "Airlock on the lid BEFORE the lid on the bucket" in my Rainman voice.)

PS- they cost 35 cents!

Back