Flavor Changes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerfan

Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues with their brew having an almost watered down taste after a month or so in a keg? I dont mind a lighter beer but I want to keep all of the good flavor that it started out with.

Yes, two of my last four brews ( all ESB's). I haven't tasted the other two yet. In my case, there are a number of possible reasons.
1. I switched from Munton's crystal to some other brand. That may or may not have an effect.
2. I've reduced the amount of crystal and cara-pils by 25% each.
3. I've been mashing a bit thinner, and the trwo that I have tasted were mashed a bit cooler, because I hadn't dialled in the correct strike temperature
4. I thought I'd run out of my favorite yeast (WLP002), but I found a tube hiding in the fridge which will be put to good use tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I'll go back to the thicker mash with more cara-pils and crystal, so the only difference will be the brand of crystal, and in about 3 months, I'll brobably have a good idea what the real cause was.

-a.

I had a German Pils that seemed to go real thin and tasteless after several weeks in bottles (I don't keg yet). It had a decent hop aroma and some flavor, but just tasted watered down. I offered one to my wife and she pointed out what should have been obvious to me - this beer's too cold! Yep, she was absolutely right. Now I take it out of the fridge and let it warm up for about 10 minutes and I've got flavor again. Perhaps your kegs are just a bit too cold? Just throwing that out as a possibility.

I will check my fridge temp, thanks. I do know that the 1st batch that did it I noticed it before it was chilled but the 2nd was good until chilled. I wonder if age has anything to due with it sometimes. The 1st one was like this before kegging the 2nd was after it was in the fridge for a few weeks.

Back