Sanke Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
Just wondering why everyone uses corny kegs rather than sanke kegs. I have six corny's because i thought there was no way to take the sanke kegs apart for filling/cleanin but it actually looks pretty easy. Just wondering the main reason more people dont use them for kegging

Just wondering why everyone uses corny kegs rather than sanke kegs. I have six corny's because i thought there was no way to take the sanke kegs apart for filling/cleanin but it actually looks pretty easy. Just wondering the main reason more people dont use them for kegging

Take apart a sanke and report back.

Supply is also an issue - there have been quite a few cornys on the market while there haven't been a lot of sankeys.

I asked this just about a week ago. Hard to source is one reason you don't see more of them. Coupler is more expensive new, but pretty cheap on ebay used. Coupler is also taller, which could be an issue for some, but Perlick makes a low one, but good luck finding one used, new they are $55.

I have one I am planning on using for my HERMS HEX. If I could find more of the 1/6 sanke, I'd used them in a heartbeat. I think cleaning might actually be easier once you remove the spear. Just use one of those drill operated carboy cleaners and you can go to town. Can't really do that with a corny because of the beer tube, but I think that's removable as well if you really wanted to.

If I could find more of the 1/6 sanke, I'd used them in a heartbeat. I think cleaning might actually be easier once you remove the spear. Just use one of those drill operated carboy cleaners and you can go to town. Can't really do that with a corny because of the beer tube, but I think that's removable as well if you really wanted to.

the dip tube on a corny comes off really easily, at least for a ball lock, just get you 7/8 socket 12 or 6 point and rempove the post, once that is out the dip tube comes straight out.

The reason im asking is that i found a tall skinny quarter barrel for 25 bucks on craigslist and im debating if its worth picking up

I wish I could get my hands on some skinny 1/4s for fermenting.

Good to know about the corny dip tube. I figured it wasn't too hard, but haven't gotten quite to kegging, so haven't fully disassembled my cornies yet.

So I guess that means I wish my whole system was sanke kegs. I need 4-1/4s for fermenting and 6-1/6ths for serving.

What about use as an hlt. Im trying to make the jump to all grain so i am trying to gather all my components. That should be big enough right?

the dip tube on a corny comes off really easily, at least for a ball lock, just get you 7/8 socket 12 or 6 point and rempove the post, once that is out the dip tube comes straight out.

The reason im asking is that i found a tall skinny quarter barrel for 25 bucks on craigslist and im debating if its worth picking up

Definitely worth it as a fementor, if nothing else. I use one. Its great.

Back