Corned beef for slicing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MariaAZ

Reaction score
Any ideas on the best way to cook a corned beef for slicing for sandwiches? I've always prepared corned beef with cabbage (a might fine way, no doubts) but I'd like to cook one specifically for thin slicing.

I prefer it baked.
Put it in a roasting pan with about 1/2" of water in the pan. bake it for about 2-3 hours at 325, uncovered for the last half of the cooking time. Let it rest for 20 minutes after you take it out and have a good knife ready . . .when you slice it make sure you are slicing it across the grain of the meat

I've had good luck cooking it in a crockpot. I just put it in there and let it slow cook for several hours until it's tender. Then, as Pumbaa says, be sure to slice it across the grain.

Pumbaa, I've never baked one before, that sounds great, does it get tender?

I usually slow boil it, and cool it then slice about 1/4 inch thick. Hmmm. Might be time for a brisket.

What pumbaa said, don't both uncovering it it'll be fine and don't worry about letting it rest... i cut all mine right after and they do fine... Double what he said about a good knife and across the grain... they're plenty tender...

Pumbaa said:
yeah you can leave it covered but I like the carmelized crust I get on the top when I uncover it half way through

Yeah i like doing that with Ham... juicey carmel crust mmmmm....

Alton Brown recently did a Good Eats episode about corned beef. I think he slow cooked his in a stock pot or crock pot after brining. You can probably catch a re-run on the Food Network.

eriklupust said:
i did a cabbage today. gonna smoke one tommorow

when you smoke a corned beef you get pastrami.... make sure you soak the corned beef in water the night b4 you plan on smoking it and change the water a couple of times...otherwise it ends up too salty...

Pumbaa said:
I prefer it baked.
Put it in a roasting pan with about 1/2" of water in the pan. bake it for about 2-3 hours at 325, uncovered for the last half of the cooking time. Let it rest for 20 minutes after you take it out and have a good knife ready . . .when you slice it make sure you are slicing it across the grain of the meat
Try putting a glaze on it as it bakes. It is the best. Here is a recipe I snagged, there are others that could be better.

Kansas City-Candied Corned Beef
By Chef Robert

Ingredients

* 1 corned beef brisket, about 4 lbs.
* 20 black peppercorns
* 2 bay leaves
* 3 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
* 1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
* 1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
* 1 tsp. ground ginger
* 2 Tbsp. tomato ketchup
* 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
* 1 tsp. molasses

Directions

Meat

1. Place brisket in a pot and cover with water.

2. Add peppercorns and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.

3. Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours until fork tender, Set aside and make glaze.

Glaze

1. Drain corned beef and place on a foiled baking sheet.

2. Pre-heat oven to 350°.

3. Mix sugar, soy sauce, mustard, ginger, ketchup, pepper flakes and molasses.

4. Mix together in a bowl and brush brisket with glaze.

5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes re-glazing two times while cooking.

6. Refrigerate overnight and slice across the grain very thin for sandwiches.

teacup13 said:
when you smoke a corned beef you get pastrami.... make sure you soak the corned beef in water the night b4 you plan on smoking it and change the water a couple of times...otherwise it ends up too salty...

Plus make sure you air dry it before smoking. A fan works really well for this. A dry surface is key to smoke penetration.

Latest posts

Back