When will fermentation start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llain

Reaction score
How long does it take for fermentation to start? I just finished my first all extract brew last night and pitched the yeast in at temperature of 24 degrees c. It is a brown ale and pitched the yeast at 9.00p.m. There was not sugar needed to be added. Its now 10 hours later and still no sign of fermentation happening. Is it a little too early?

depends on strain of yeast, dry or liquid, and whether or not you made a starter. could be as much as 3 days, give it 36 hours and repitch.

Fermentation will start after the growth period of the yeast.
Visible signs of activity can "normally" take from 45 minutes up to 3 days dependant on a few factors.

I pitched a liquid yeast, without a starter and it took 24 hours for my fermentation to start... was a reallllll slow bubbling too. AFter 36 hours it was going strong..... just give it time.

FYI, I pitched without a starter because I did not have any DME and didn't want my yeast to get used to corn sugar before going in on my wort. Took a risk, but its working out fine.

Thanks for your replies. I will give in time. I will let you know what happens.
Niall

llain said:
I just finished my first all extract brew last night... and still no sign of fermentation happening. Is it a little too early?

Making a yeast starter is always a good idea... When you say all extract brew, do you mean to say that you didn't use any specialty grains even for just steeping? It's fine, I suppose, if you didn't; but steeping specialty grains will vastly improve the flavor and complexity of your beer, and allow you to replicate a greater variety of styles, and it takes very little effort. But I perhaps I'm just misunderstanding what you meant by "all extract"...

GoatFarmersInternational said:
When you say all extract brew, do you mean to say that you didn't use any specialty grains even for just steeping?.

What I meant was that I just used an off the shelf home brew kit, i.e. 2 tins of extract. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Just arrived home from work and the fermentation has started. So far so good.........

Back