I'm not going to panic. . . but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primo

Reaction score
Hey guys . . . and Girls (yooper).
Last night a buddy came over to brew at my house, (he likes my gas stove) we brewed a true brew Porter kit. Anyway as we were preparing everything, after having made up a bucket of star san. I decided to switch out the blow off tube for an airlock on my last batch. (brewed on 1/23/11) I use a 1/2 gallon growler 3/4s full of sanitizer and a racking tube for my blow off set up. When I went to remove the tube from the growler I noticed that the tube had popped out of the sanitizer, thusly having not been in an airlock type mode for 4 days of fermentation. OK I kind of panicked a little, I took a hydrometer reading. The og was 1.059 and the brew was now at 1.040. I tasted the sample (just a sip) and it tasted great!
I tried to find a post speaking of this situation but found nothing. NO Im not going to dump it!!!! But I wanted to try to find something telling me if there was anything I should keep my eye out for. Or do you think I'm just worrying needlessly?
BTW when I put the airlock back on it started bubbling away happily and it also had an awesome cap of krausen !!!

You're fine. The exiting Co2 kept anything from 'crawling up' your tube and getting to your beer. Feel free to pretend that it never happened.

Bad stuff are really not ninja acrobats, just because your tube came our of the liquid in the blowoff doesn't mean that anything can still get into the fermenter, you STILL have co2 coming out of the hose, that is going to keep stuff from being able to get in.

OK? ;)

you are fine. even though the hose was off, there was CO2 pushing OUT of the hole. If there are no large bugs floating in it, then there is nothing to worry about.

Those were my presumptions Thanks guys I won't worry about watching it for anything. I cant wait to drink it for saint pattys day!!!

Back