Do I make the grade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumpsterfish

Reaction score
ITT I'm looking for a definition of "food grade" stainless steel.

I ask because I just got a bunch of parts from McMaster, and they're all different alloys (304, 316, CF8M).

Can a home brewer run afoul of metallurgical principles by picking the wrong type of SS?

i'm pretty sure you're good on the 304 and 316. CF8M is a new one to me though, not ringing any bells. 304 is the usual stuff used around here.

The 400 series of stainless are magnetic and will show signs of rust, but can still be used in some food applications. You're safest if you stick with anything in the 300 series.

Edit:
Beat me to it. Nice link Gila.

Edit2:
CF8M is cast 316

By definition 316 is food grade stainless steel. 304 is not considered food grade but is used all the time and will have no detrimental effects. Never heard of CF8M, but there are a lot of special application stainless alloys out there. So like the other post, anything in the 300 series is good.

By definition 316 is food grade stainless steel. 304 is not considered food grade but is used all the time and will have no detrimental effects. Never heard of CF8M, but there are a lot of special application stainless alloys out there. So like the other post, anything in the 300 series is good.

Thanks for the clarification. I ordered a 316 ball valve from McMaster, and what I got had the C8FM stamp on it, so I guess I'm cool.

Stay tuned for my retardedly overkill-laden keggle project thread...

Thanks for the clarification. I ordered a 316 ball valve from McMaster, and what I got had the C8FM stamp on it, so I guess I'm cool.

Stay tuned for my retardedly overkill-laden keggle project thread...

Bring it on...I'll be looking forward to your updates!

CF-8M is a molybdenum bearing modification of of CF8 alloy and is the cast equivalent of wrought AISI 316
stainless steel. The presence of molybdenum increases the general corrosion resistance and the resistance to
pitting by chlorides. The alloy is used in mildly acidic and alkaline conditions and for handling citric, oxalic and
phosphoric acids.

CF-8M is a molybdenum bearing modification of of CF8 alloy and is the cast equivalent of wrought AISI 316
stainless steel. The presence of molybdenum increases the general corrosion resistance and the resistance to
pitting by chlorides. The alloy is used in mildly acidic and alkaline conditions and for handling citric, oxalic and
phosphoric acids.

Since you brought up Molybdenum, here's another Q...molybdenum disulfide? I've got a couple fittings that are coated in this stuff kicking around from other projects, and I wonder if I can use them in my brewery? My gut says no, but I don't know much about the stuff. Can it be removed with some kind of sulfuric acid bath?

Since you brought up Molybdenum, here's another Q...molybdenum disulfide? I've got a couple fittings that are coated in this stuff kicking around from other projects, and I wonder if I can use them in my brewery? My gut says no, but I don't know much about the stuff. Can it be removed with some kind of sulfuric acid bath?

Big Bump to this!

Back