? about Sprecher Root Beer Soda Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikechi

Reaction score
So my HBS only had on stock 1 gallon bottle's of Sprecher Root Beer Soda Syrup.The only guy working had no idea how to mix it and said he thinks water would work and that's it. According to the directions all I have to do is add 4 gallon's of water and that's it.I am sure their is more to this.Any help would be great.I have never done root beer and seems like the only video info I can get is using small extracts.I should add that I plan to bottle and not keg.I did pick up a few pounds of corn sugar for primming.

Thank you

The Sprecher syrup is made to be used with keg systems. It contains a preservative. You cannot carbonate it by fermenting it with yeast.

You would mix it with 4 gallons of water in a keg, cool and crank up the CO2.

If you do not have a CO2 system and kegs, I would suggest you return it.

The Sprecher syrup is made to be used with keg systems. It contains a preservative. You cannot carbonate it by fermenting it with yeast.

EXACTLY what he said. I will also add that they are delicious, and fun to have at parties, the kids love it.

gonna piggyback on this thread... is it possible to get the root beer taste out of the keg?

good god I'm glad i saw that yoop.

I only have 3 kegs and 3 taps. sure don't drink soda enough to have a dedicated keg.

what about the taps? do the taps get perma-root beer'd?

Anything vinyl or rubber will be permanently contaminated with root beer flavor. That includes the beer line. The flavor cannot be removed by any cleaning method currently known. The line will have to be replaced.

I have even heard rumors of one brew pub that was using vinyl hose in a trunk line. The root beer flavor migrated from one line to another through the vinyl. They had to replace all the vinyl with flavor barrier lines. I cannot verify this, but I have always tried to use Teflon beer hose in the pubs I worked in. We did serve root beer and orange soda from dedicated lines at Rockyard and to this day there has been no cross contamination.

I was at my local hoomebrew store the other day aparently you can mix the specher concentrate at a 4 to 1 ratio with club soda, and bottle. But I am going to get a corny and actually keg it i think draft root beer will taster better

I'm trying to force carb it at room temperature, any idea what PSI I should be doing it at and for how many days? It doesn't quite seem to be working for me...

Thanks in advance

I'm trying to force carb it at room temperature, any idea what PSI I should be doing it at and for how many days? It doesn't quite seem to be working for me...

Thanks in advance

Crank up your regulator to 30 psi and shake the hell out of the keg for about 10 minutes. Take a sample and see if it has enough carbonation for you. If not, repeat. Once you are satisfied, cut off the CO2, set your regulator, bleed down the keg, and open the CO2 back up. I run my root beer around 10 psi.

I have been using their syrups for 2 going on 3 years now and yes the root beer stays in the keg with sprechers but the tap i have never had problems but then again a 5 gallon keg doesn't last long and i only make one about 5 times a year. While it sits i keep the lines filled with no rinse solution and it takes all the root beer essence out of the line.

For carbonating it takes 6 days at 45 psi to get about a 30-35 finish. every day un-hook your keg and shake it up then re-hook. If you shake while connected there will be some soda that runs back up your lines. Shaking your keg is needed or you will have to wait almost a month for the same results.

Root Beer warning!!! they use honey and it will cause a big foam up if your using to much pressure to pour.

Their other sodas don't have this issue only the root beer where you have to do a slow pour or you will get lots of foam.

For going from keg to bottle you can use a wand with the other sodas but not the root beer it foams up your have to do a very slow angled pour which is the worst way to bottle but you still can if you take proper sterilization precautions.

i'm confused as to the stickiness of sprecher root beer in kegs.

i mean, these are all old soda kegs, right? what's so sticky about sprecher?

I'd like to throw together some root beer, but i'm not gonna dedicate a keg to it....

i'm confused as to the stickiness of sprecher root beer in kegs.

i mean, these are all old soda kegs, right? what's so sticky about sprecher?

I'd like to throw together some root beer, but i'm not gonna dedicate a keg to it....

Sprecher's no worse than any other rootbeer. But..............trust me. You're either going to want to dedicate lines/keg/tap to it, or at least change out all the o-rings and seals. Root beer aroma and flavor NEVER goes away from a keg's parts. Ginger ale? Yes. Lemon lime soda? Definitely! Root beer? No way.

Heard from a LHBS that Sprecher was no longer going to sell the gallon syrup jugs. Anyone else hear this?

You get a better deal if you order their 4-pak of syrup from their website or brewery.

I ordered a case from the store. Being in Canada I needed to have it shipped to a US address. Anyway I have been patiently waiting for it to carbonate. It actually tastes OK while a little flat. I can't wait for the month to be up. I understand from other posts that the big part of how it tastes is the honey. All we need now is diet bees and then the low calorie folks can enjoy it too. So far I do not have any flavor transfer to my beer taps.

Update. The root beer tastes great. I have it at 30psi and have the flow control valve on my old Perlick almost closed. The 1/4" line is only about 7' long so I am going to make it a couple feet longer but even with this short of a line it pours OK, just a little foamy.

Ha. Cool thing, finding this thread. I saw some of this in an H-E-B the other day and grabbed a bottle and it is GOOD.

I had the cream soda, and it is by far the best cream soda I've ever had.

I would not suggest trying to carbonate after you add the syrup. instead I'd carbonate 4 gal of Water then jumper over 1 gal of water In port to In port.

Latest posts

Back