• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Price Alert-5 gal Igloo coolers 5$ @ Walmart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it worth getting a 5-gallon one? Will that even hold enough with the grain for 5 gallons of brew?

Nah, not really- unless its something like the Centennial Blonde or Cream of Three Crops lol

Is it worth getting a 5-gallon one? Will that even hold enough with the grain for 5 gallons of brew?

I was able to brew several beers in the 1.060 range when I used a 5 gallon cooler. I'd pick it up now, build a mash tun using FlyGuys DIY thread and grab a 10 gallon cooler at a later date. The parts you need to buy to convert the cooler to a mash tun will fit in either a 5 or 10 gallon cooler so they'll be no additional parts to buy later on.

Don't be afraid of 5 gallon coolers! And as other people have already pointed out, they will work just fine. I've been using a 5gal cooler for a couple of years... works great for all my 5.5 gallon batches up to about 1.060 gravity, which are 90% of the beers I make.

Don't be afraid of 5 gallon coolers! And as other people have already pointed out, they will work just fine. I've been using a 5gal cooler for a couple of years... works great for all my 5.5 gallon batches up to about 1.060 gravity, which are 90% of the beers I make.
plus y ou can always bump up the OG with extract if needed.

Some of us don't have space for all the large stuff. A 5gal will work fine, especially for small batches or split brews. Or just do a 2nd or 3rd mash and a long boil. It worked in ye oldern tymes, no reason it can't today.

It's what I've used so far for 6 batches (listed in my profile). EdWort's Robust Porter was the largest grain bill at 14 lbs 1 oz. It made 5.5 gals of 1.072 post boil. Going to make a batch of Lil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale in one tomorrow.

I'd highly recommend this for anyone wanting to move up to partial mash brewing from extract. It's a little small for AG, but great for PM!

the igloo ones in my local walmart were 15$ and the colemans were 21$
brick NJ

Latest posts

Back