Secondary fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jppostKW

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a SOFC glycol hybrid type chiller. I am planning on doing a large enough chamber for two 6 gallon better bottle primarys. My question is will moving the beer with active fermentation complete to room temp for a secondary and open up the space in the chamber be counter productive to a temp controlled fermentation?

Thanks guys

Paul

As long as your fermentation has completed, you no longer need to maintain fermentation temperatures. Just remember, there is an upper-limit as to how hot you can actually store beer for. I would never keep my beer in an area with 70F+ temps for long periods of time after fermentation. This will speed up the aging process of your batch, forcing you to drink it faster!

Like I said though, as long as fermentation is complete, move that carboy out to get another one in. Temperature control is most important during active fermentation.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply and I will definitly post my build of my ferm chamber its looking pretty good so far

Back