Where to find good beer in Detroit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukdizzle

Reaction score
I need some of you motor city cats to chime in here, I will be in detroit for the red bull air races and I want to pick up some rare stuff to bring back. I am staying at the courtyard downtown on Jefferson and am wondering where in the city has the best selection of beer to buy. We have most of the bells products down here but I will be looking for it wherever I go, I am already gonna make a stop at Slow's BBQ and hit up their tap list and BBQ but I want to bring some stuff like Surly, Three Floyds, Founders, etc back with me.

Detroit residents, where must I go to find the rarest of the rarest beers.

Thank you!

Tell me about it, I am staying down by greek town on the river and supposedly if I go like 2 blocks inland the area can get shady at night.

Hukdizzle, don't believe the bull**** about Detroit. it's the most misunderstood city in the world. If you want to check out an awesome microbrew you need to go to Motor City Brewing Works: Home Motor City Brewing Works, Ph. (313) 832-2700 It might be a bit too far to walk from your hotel but it is a $5 cab ride up woodward (make sure you tell the cabbie to go on the meter or he will definitely screw you because it's a short trip). If you want a good beer selection downtown, Foran's on Woodward is an excellent choice. Atwater Block brewery is a bit further up the river on Jefferson if you want to try another microbrew, but I think Motor City is better. If you want a place you can walk to from your hotel, Detroit Beer Company on Broadway is ok.

So, I live in Detroit, near Motor City Brewing, and have lived here for several years. It is a great city with tons of amazing people and excellent bars, restaurants, venues, etc. The problem is there is a lot of crap as well, and most of the tourists get steered towards the ****ty places because they are easier to find. Downtown is not any more dangerous than other big cities, and just like those big cities you need to use more common sense. Be open minded and try to look at Detroit from many different angles. People who focus on a few blighted spots here and there miss what an amazingly interesting place this is.

Please let me know if you have any questions before your visit, so feel free to send me a PM.

^^^
Nailed it. Detroit is like going to any other big city. Use some common sense and you'll be fine.

If you want a really good liquor store with a great selection, go to Super Liquor IV in Ann Arbor. It's very rare that I say anything nice about that city, but it has one of the best selections I've ever seen.

Back